How to clean the outside glass?

Noobtosalty

What can be used to clean the outside of my tank from fingerprints and water drips? I read Windex is OK but i want to be sure...

I rinse with RODI and paper towel first and then use windex. Make sure to spray the paper towel first and then wipe. Do not spray the windex on or near the tank. This is just how I do it.

I just use paper towels and rodi water.

I know people use Windex and other cleaners, but I just don't like getting chemicals anywhere near the tank when there is an alternative.

Water and a clean t-shirt... Paper towels and towels are too ruff IMO and can over time diminish the "see through" quality. I know a t-shirt can too... but it's still better than a towel.

+1 to never use Windex or other chemicals on the glass... I wouldn't want that stuff anywhere near my tank...

Vinegar isn't a chemical that harms the tank, it is used for carbon dosing and removes scum/finger prints much better than water does. Just leave it on the glass for 15 minutes then wipe it off, no residue, no scrubbing, all good.

Been using windex for years without issue. Try not to spray it directly into the tank and you should be fine.

I asked this same question a couple weeks ago. I took everyone's advice and started using a 50/50 vinegar/rodi mix. Spray it on, wipe it off with paper towel, the dry buff with a microfiber cloth. Works great, no streaks. Just be ready to get cranky at all the little scratches you never noticed before lol

I use RO/DI on a clean microfiber cloth. It takes a little bit of effort, but it leaves behind spotless glass with no chemicals.

Back