How to cure my (dead) live rock

Roberthein

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how i should prepare my rocks for the tank? They used to be liverocks, but have been out well over year, they have been cleaned and hammered into small pieces, then glued to new rock formations.

I have had them in vinegar and water 3 days, and cleaned out any small gunk, even it was very little.. but what now?

Should i drop them in a barrel with saltwater? freshwater? should water be perfect salinity? should the water be replaced over time, and how often? How long should i keep them in the barrel? Hehe... i know thats was a lot..

Thanks in advance guys.
Rob

If this is a "new" tank set up, I would just rinse them well under running water (garden hose), then set the tank up, fill, heat, add salt until 1.025-1.027, then cycle the tank.

If this is a "new" tank set up, I would just rinse them well under running water (garden hose), then set the tank up, fill, heat, add salt until 1.025-1.027, then cycle the tank.

Oh really? I read people have then in barrels for month and month, but is that only for an established and cycled tank, to avoid things go south?

I think in that case is you are waiting for the die off (cure), but since you have had these dry for a year, scrubbed them clean, soaked in vinegar/water for several days, and it's a new tank set up, I would just set it up and cycle the tank.

It's basically the same method as using the barrels, only you're doing it in your tank.

Keep the lights off, monitor your parameters, once the cycle is complete, SLOWLY add live stock.

Just be patient. See my bit on 'Time.' It explains what's going on. If you've got the barrel, sure, go ahead and use that to cure rock (up at the top of this forum we have a monster thread on this process, headed with some detailed advice)---but if you're cramped for space you can do it in your tank, which is doing nothing but waiting anyway. If you have a friend whose tank you trust, once your rock has shed its nastiness and is getting ready, ask him for a small rock or half cup of unclean sand, and that will seed your tank quite well. There are also some bacteria in a bottle you can use. But first be sure your rock is conditioned, ie, well-saturated and that its water is showing no problems. Ways to turn up a problem: put a piece of polyfilter in your water flow. It'll turn color according to any contaminant it's picking up. AND it removes the contaminant. I once got a tar ball disguised as a rock. Wondered where that petroleum sheen was coming from!

Thanks a lot guys, i do have a barrel for the same purpose with a powerhead, but will it not create a problem if i keep in the barrel for x month, and then when finally ready move it to the new tank, will it not cause it to re cycle? or that should be fine?

Reason being i'ts a lot easier just leaving the rocks in a barrel than having to also clean glass, pumps and what not.

Thanks a lot guys, i do have a barrel for the same purpose with a powerhead, but will it not create a problem if i keep in the barrel for x month, and then when finally ready move it to the new tank, will it not cause it to re cycle? or that should be fine?

Reason being i'ts a lot easier just leaving the rocks in a barrel than having to also clean glass, pumps and what not.

If you go that route, heat, salt, circulation, I'd seed it in the barrel, get the cycle over with, then when you do set up your tank, you might only see a small cycle or possible none at all.

Back