How to get Wrasse out of Overflow

Tamw1se

What is the best way to get a wrasse out of a corner overflow. Tank is 30" inches tall so fishing out with net isn't working as well as it did in previous 24" tall tank.

Drain the overflow so he has less room to move around. i use a small piece of acrylic to cover my overflows, once you have him out.

I had the same opportunity with my six line I just pulled the stand pipe which I would do regularly to get rid of detritus and the force pulled him down into the filter sock .I hope this works for you

You could try siphoning him out with a hose and bucket. This happened to me just last week with a fairy wrasse. The drain pipe was glued in from last owner. I bought 2 small nets and eventually got him to jump back out.

Pulling the standpipe can help and may just flush the fish into the sump depending on the type of bulkhead used. You can slowly add sand or gravel to the overflow until the fish is within easy reach.

I feel your pain though, I have had a leopard wrasse in my external c2c overflow of my 360 for 3-4 months because it always swims to the side I can't access when I come around the side.

Fish it out, get a micro fishing hook. Many use this technique to get fish out of established tanks.
You can get barbless hook, or just grind down the barb on a regular one.

I was going to suggest the hook as well. Any tackle shop will have the small gold bait hooks, you may be able to buy them without the barb otherwise just take pliers and crimp it down. Get some string and a piece of mysis. It should cause minimum damage unless he fights real hard or gets stuck. This was going to be my next step if the net didn't work.

Fish it out, get a micro fishing hook. Many use this technique to get fish out of established tanks.
You can get barbless hook, or just grind down the barb on a regular one.

I was going to suggest the hook as well. Any tackle shop will have the small gold bait hooks, you may be able to buy them without the barb otherwise just take pliers and crimp it down. Get some string and a piece of mysis. It should cause minimum damage unless he fights real hard or gets stuck. This was going to be my next step if the net didn't work.

Man I need to do this for my sailfin and hippo they are getting way to big for my tank

We were lucky.....Was getting ready to pull stand pipe and let the wrasse take a ride to the sump but decided to give netting him a try. The guy mist have been ready to get out because I had him in the net in about 3 minutes. I think I will go buy lotto tickets after that luck.

Back