How to introduce new clown fish

antegeia7

Hi team.
Just after some advice.
Alas after 5 years one of my clown fish died
:-(

I want to ask what is the best way to introduce another couple? I m thinking of adding a pair Picasso. Or 3 ocelaris?

My tank is 240L. I currently have only 1 clown and 1 Cardinal. I have approx 30kg live rock in there and a deltec skimmer. Has been running for 5 years. Had corals previously but none survived. All were dying but mushrooms I now have like 20. mushrooms.

Due to lack of time and working non stop as a nurse I was unable to keep up. But now slowly I will build again. Fish only though.
What are your thoughts? How to introduce new clown fish?
I also want to add a few anthias and a banana wrasse.
Thanks in advance

Hi all, very similar question to the IP, after 3 years as part of an established pair hosting in an anemone my male clownfish somehow ended up stuck in a wave pump 😢😢 to say I’m gutted would be an understatement. The remaining female searched the tank for days but has now finally given up and is now eating, behaving normally and hosting in the nem once again. What’s the best way of introducing another? The web is full of advice ranging from adding several juveniles and letting nature take its course (there are 3 nems in the tank and plenty of space) to introducing just one smaller than her and hoping she doesn’t kill it. The pair never were ‘boisterous’ and other than shepherding any and all fish away from the nem (sometimes forcibly) never showed any signs of aggression. Other tank mates are bicolour angel, Midas blenny, sixline wrasse and anthias. Inverts are 3 nems, heap load of zoas, 2 cleaner shrimps, 1 fire shrimp, feather duster and several hermit crabs of various sizes. Any help would be seriously appreciated.

Hi all, very similar question to the IP, after 3 years as part of an established pair hosting in an anemone my male clownfish somehow ended up stuck in a wave pump 😢😢 to say I’m gutted would be an understatement. The remaining female searched the tank for days but has now finally given up and is now eating, behaving normally and hosting in the nem once again. What’s the best way of introducing another? The web is full of advice ranging from adding several juveniles and letting nature take its course (there are 3 nems in the tank and plenty of space) to introducing just one smaller than her and hoping she doesn’t kill it. The pair never were ‘boisterous’ and other than shepherding any and all fish away from the nem (sometimes forcibly) never showed any signs of aggression. Other tank mates are bicolour angel, Midas blenny, sixline wrasse and anthias. Inverts are 3 nems, heap load of zoas, 2 cleaner shrimps, 1 fire shrimp, feather duster and several hermit crabs of various sizes. Any help would be seriously appreciated.

hi there.

How can I tell if mine is male of female? I think the smaller one died :-( and I m devastated too :-(

In the past, (been a long time ago), I just introduced the new (smaller) clown. There may be some aggression at first but, as long as they are the same species, eventually they should be fine together.

All Clowns start out as male and the dominant one will transform into a female.

In the past, (been a long time ago), I just introduced the new (smaller) clown. There may be some aggression at first but, as long as they are the same species, eventually they should be fine together.

All Clowns start out as male and the dominant one will transform into a female.
Thanks griss, so they were a pair of black and white percula clowns, so do I need to add another black and white percula or can it be another percula clownfish of a different colour?

Attachments

• IMG_1156.jpeg
    IMG_1156.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Thanks griss, so they were a pair of black and white percula clowns, so do I need to add another black and white percula or can it be another percula clownfish of a different colour?
I am not a fish expert, I'm more of a coral/invert person but, I believe any Percula clown should be fine. Like I said, there may be some aggression at first but in the long run they should be fine.

My last set of clowns were Clarkiis that I purchased at the same time. The dominant became the female an resided in the anemone but, the male lived at the other end of the tank. Not sure why they did that but, Clowns are weird fish :ROFLMAO:

I am not a fish expert, I'm more of a coral/invert person but, I believe any Percula clown should be fine. Like I said, there may be some aggression at first but in the long run they should be fine.

My last set of clowns were Clarkiis that I purchased at the same time. The dominant became the female a resided in the anemone but, the male lived at the other end of the tank. Not sure why they did that but, Clowns are weird fish :ROFLMAO:
They certainly are. Thanks Griss

They certainly are. Thanks Griss
So I’m hoping to purchase a replacement today (if they have black/white clowns in stock) so I’ll post back the results, I’m hoping to get at least one other fish at the same time so as ‘throw the tank off balance’ and give the new clown a bit of a better chance. If I’m completely honest I still haven’t decided 100% if I’m going to buy one replacement or three but I’ll let you know so you can decide if what I did was right or wrong, either way you’ll know the correct way after 🤣🤣🤣

Well! @antegeia7 They didn’t have any clowns on the day I went to the LFS but they did yesterday! I bought one clown from a tank, he’s almost black and white but with slight bits of orange (so looks slightly different). I acclimatised him and a regal damsel I also purchased, I was so nervous about introducing him, I expected him to be hammered right out of the net BUT I needn’t have worried, he came out of the net and swam right over to the big female, I braced myself and got ready with the net but there was nothing, within 2 mins he was in the anemone with her as if they’d paired up years ago. An absolute success! Let me know how you get on with yours please.

Last edited:
Well! @antegeia7 They didn’t have any clowns on the day I went to the LFS but they did yesterday! I bought one clown from a tank, he’s almost black and white but with slight bits of orange (so looks slightly different). I acclimatised him and a regal damsel I also purchased, I was so nervous about introducing him, I expected him to be hammered right out of the net BUT I needn’t have worried, he came out of the net and swam right over to the big female, I braced myself and got ready with the net but there was nothing, within 2 mins he was in the anemone with her as if they’d paired up years ago. An absolute success! Let me know how you get on with yours please.
Glad it went well.

Back