HOW TO KILL Caulerpa verticillata

WhoDat?

I've done some research and found out I have Caulerpa verticillata....
I've got some of this on a rock in my 90 gallon... I can't take out the rock since my rock is drilled.... does anyone know of something that will kill/eat this stuff??? Thanks!!!

I currently have a yellow tang in QT.... But with all the research I've done I'm a bit skeptical that they will eat this since its a macro algae... but I will definately try it...

you did research on Caulerpa, and didnt see all the threads about tangs eating it? Ive seen reports of damn near every type of tang mowing thru it.

you did research on Caulerpa, and didnt see all the threads about tangs eating it? Ive seen reports of damn near every type of tang mowing thru it.

Everywhere I read said they won't eat this type of caulerpa.... But like I said I will give it a try as soon as the tang is ready!!!

As far as removing it manually it's very hard and I've read that if I accidently let some go it will start a new colony wherever it lands!!! Ill just have to be super careful I guess ... Lol

Thanks guys!!!

If you try and tease the roots out of the root, you'll have more chance that it doesn't come back.

Well.... Call me crazy, but.... I ordered a clean up crew online.... 50 hermits... 50 snails... Few peppermint shrimp.... And the hermits are tearing this stuff up!!! It's about half the size it was... There is always at least 4 crabs on it at all times.... And the snails even make passes... So once my tang is ready hopefully he can take care of the rest!!! And thanks for the help guys!!!

What kind of crabs & snails?!?!?!?! You must tell me!!! TELL ME NOW!!! :) But seriously I've been fighting this for a while now and the clean up crew that I ordered don't seem to do any damage at all. I have to pinch it out by hand and then look like an idiot for bout 20 mins as I swoop a fish net back & forth in the tank to get all the little floaty bits.

I bought these on Ebay as a CUC....

25 - Astrea Snails
25 - Cerith Snails
25 - Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
25 - Red Leg Hermit Crabs
5 - Peppermint Shrimp
5 - Emerald Crabs
1 - Cucumber
1 - Serpant or Brittle Starfish

I'm not sure if it will come back or not.... but I had one rock that was almost completely covered.... and now I can barely see any!!!! 1 week later!!!!

I had a super bad case of it overtaking my 90 gallon, I just so happened to buy the most beutiful sailfin tang I have ever seen and that is all he eats. Neither my yellow or my tomini tang touch the stuff! Good luck.

So did the tang end up eating it once you got it out of QT?

I've got some of this on a rock in my 90 gallon... I can't take out the rock since my rock is drilled.... does anyone know of something that will kill/eat this stuff??? Thanks!!!

I fight against this plague for years ... I try "Naso Vlamingi" in this time. When I tear small pieces , he eats algae and do not spit it ! I hope that it will work ... good luck to you

I know this is an old thread, but do a Google search for Bryopsis and Fluconazole. I had a bad case of Caulerpa verticillate. Fluconazole is working wonders in killing this algae.

get a sea hare and other smaller snails - if sea hare does not eat it - get another one from a different store or ask others to sell you one
i had the same issue and hare helped within a 5 days

Back