how to seal up unwanted 1 1/4" diameter hole

Daddyrawg

Just picked up an Acrylic tank and it has a hole the size of 1 1/4" diameter.

How do I close it up? someone mentioned a 1/2" bulkhead with some sort of plug? anyone know what the plug is called or where I can find it so that it will
fit in a bulkhead?

A bulkhed with a plug is one way to do it. The OD of bulkheads vary by manufacturer. The type of plug will depend on if your using a slip or threaded bulkhead. Either way the plugs are standard parts available at all most any hardware store. This is best if you might want to use the hole latter.
You can also seal it by bonding another peice of acrylic over the hole. This is the best permanent solution as it will never leak if done properly. I have plenty of scrap acrylic and the proper bonding agent. You can get them at a plactic supply store or many sign stores.

A bulkhed with a plug is one way to do it. The OD of bulkheads vary by manufacturer. The type of plug will depend on if your using a slip or threaded bulkhead. Either way the plugs are standard parts available at all most any hardware store. This is best if you might want to use the hole latter.
You can also seal it by bonding another peice of acrylic over the hole. This is the best permanent solution as it will never leak if done properly. I have plenty of scrap acrylic and the proper bonding agent. You can get them at a plactic supply store or many sign stores.

What do the plugs look like?

How do I close it up? someone mentioned a 1/2" bulkhead with some sort of plug? anyone know what the plug is called or where I can find it so that it will
fit in a bulkhead?

Where is the hold? Bottom or side?

Side

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OK, A couple of ideas.

A Bulkhead would work, but it would be ugly. I am not sure there are any 1/4 bulkheads which means that you would have to drill it out to 1/2' making it ugly and big which leave you with option two.

Easier: Tape off the hole on both sides. This is to catch drips. Cut a circle out of Acrylic a little larger than the hole that is there and glue it in place using acrylic glue like WELD-ON. This glue bonds the acrylic pieces together. Still ugly, but less ugly than a bulkhead. For the paranoid, you could do both sides.

If it were thicker, you could actually plug it using an acrylic dowel but I dont imagine a 35g is more than 1/4 inch. In that case you could buy a slightly larger dowel and using a drill and fine sandpaper very slowly bring the new dowel down to where it just barely fits into the hole and secure with weld on.
I did this with a 400 gal tank but that was 1" thick acrylic.

Others may have other ideas.

fit in a bulkhead?

As an aside, use the hols as part of the circulation/return system.

OK, A couple of ideas.

A Bulkhead would work, but it would be ugly. I am not sure there are any 1/4 bulkheads which means that you would have to drill it out to 1/2' making it ugly and big which leave you with option two.

Easier: Tape off the hole on both sides. This is to catch drips. Cut a circle out of Acrylic a little larger than the hole that is there and glue it in place using acrylic glue like WELD-ON. This glue bonds the acrylic pieces together. Still ugly, but less ugly than a bulkhead. For the paranoid, you could do both sides.

If it were thicker, you could actually plug it using an acrylic dowel but I dont imagine a 35g is more than 1/4 inch. In that case you could buy a slightly larger dowel and using a drill and fine sandpaper very slowly bring the new dowel down to where it just barely fits into the hole and secure with weld on.
I did this with a 400 gal tank but that was 1" thick acrylic.

Others may have other ideas.

I believe the hole is 1.25" not 1/4". I may be wrong.

If you use a bulkhead connector, there is simple screw-on cap that matches its 'inside the tank' threading. Install the bulkhead connector, screw the cap on nicely with plumber's tape. Done. You can probably do it from both directions with a second cap.

The Weld-on patch is also secure. About as secure as your corner seams. If your hole is a weird size, this is your best answer.

Note: your fish store may have those bulkhead connectors and caps. Lowes had no idea what I was talking about. At least mine didn't.

Plastic Tapered threads should be sealed with Teflon paste not tape. I have a 1/2” bulkhead and plug if your near Anaheim.

Back