How would you "skin" this metal stand???

Webmanny

Yes it's me again,

I am going super cheap with my next build and I decided to buy a stand that I can take apart at a moment's notice.

Please note that these shelves for like a glove and each hold 800 pounds.

I'm looking for ideas for covering our skinning this stand. I have a few suggestions, but please feel free to add more.

1- Buy a black blackout curtain, add Velcro to the corners and to the stand.
2- Cut pieces of 1/2" or 1/4" wood to cover all around and hold it with magnets.
3- Get some PVC/plastic pieces cut to size and also attach it to the steel with magnets.
4- ?????

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

Depending on how you wanted to finish it. I'd use 1/2" of some sort, a sanded ply if I was going to laminate it. Id go with something fancier if you wanted to paint or stain it.

Manny I looked into same stand when I saw lees breeding setup. Just a suggestion have you ever thought about several tanks? Like a 65 and a 40 would fit plus sump for both. Same foot print.

Oh believe me, I did think about that. I was going to go with your setup originally since it was plug and play, but the height of the 65 gallon being 25", I feel is too much for me and the space I have.

Also, I don't want the extra maintenance and water change. I went with the 40 breeder because it is only 4 more gallons than what I have today and I can keep doing the same amount of water changes, salt, dosing, etc. that I'm doing today.

I know I'll regret it at some point soon, but I'll live with it. :)

We're redoing our shop, and we got those same (or reeeally similar) racks. I'm wanting one for my fish room now. :)

We're redoing our shop, and we got those same (or reeeally similar) racks. I'm wanting one for my fish room now. :)

Please be aware that Home Depot and Lowe's sell two kinds. The regular load one, handles up to 2000 total pounds and the heavy duty (This is the one that I got), which holds 4000 pounds.

I strongly suggest you for the heavy duty one. It is just $69.00. Also, just a recommendation, go to Lowe's and have them precision cut you the wood for the shelves out of actual wood to replace the particle board that it comes with.

I have had 1/4" wood panels that were held on to a metal stand using magnets before. It worked really well although they eventually both started to rust.

I like this idea for a frag tank. What size tank is that? A 40b? Also do you have a link for the stand?

On a side not it looks like it would be crushed when the tank is full. I'm not sure I would trust the weight rating in my own house haha.

Amanda, (and others) if you ever want to go this route, look at these shelves from Lowes.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/edsal-72-in-H...Tier-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/3529778

They are a little more sturdy and look a little better IMO. You get two complete 36" tall stands out of the box. They have been used by a lot of people in the hobby for 40 breeder tanks. I have two of them in my garage as qt tanks that will be converted into broodstock tanks for my clown pairs once my 125 is setup.

This video shows them as dual 40 breeder stands.

http://youtu.be/WhZrKiqfRQ4

I have had 1/4" wood panels that were held on to a metal stand using magnets before. It worked really well although they eventually both started to rust.

I like this idea for a frag tank. What size tank is that? A 40b? Also do you have a link for the stand?

On a side not it looks like it would be crushed when the tank is full. I'm not sure I would trust the weight rating in my own house haha.

Yes. The tank is a 40b and I'm not sure I agree with your point of not trusting the weight limit on this stand.

I have another one in my storage area with over 2000 worth of stuff on it and have had no issues with it ever.

A full 40 breeder should weight 334 pounds. Therefore, I am not too concerned about it. I feel it should hold the weight fine.

Yes. The tank is a 40b and I'm not sure I agree with your point of not trusting the weight limit on this stand.

I have another one in my storage area with over 2000 worth of stuff on it and have had no issues with it ever.

A full 40 breeder should weight 334 pounds. Therefore, I am not too concerned about it. I feel it should hold the weight fine.

Sorry that was meant as a joke. I'm sure if the weight limit is that high it will be fine. Just looks a little spindly to me.

It's probably fine assuming it doesn't get bumped. That being said, I would definitely find a way to reinforce it against racking.

I just saw this one. Do you have close pictures of the frame itself? I think I like the looks of this one better on that video and the fact that you are already using it for this, makes me feel safer.

Amanda, (and others) if you ever want to go this route, look at these shelves from Lowes.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/edsal-72-in-H...Tier-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/3529778

They are a little more sturdy and look a little better IMO. You get two complete 36" tall stands out of the box. They have been used by a lot of people in the hobby for 40 breeder tanks. I have two of them in my garage as qt tanks that will be converted into broodstock tanks for my clown pairs once my 125 is setup.

Please ignore the mess since they were setup as emergency holdig tanks when I broke down my former display tanks.

20151110_132503.jpg

20151110_132512.jpg

Two stands for the price of one
20151110_132536.jpg

Oh yeah. That looks much better. Going to Lowe's today and then to Home Depot to return this one. Thank you for sharing.

That's the ones we have. Supposed to hold 1000lb per shelf. The two short ones are just one set not stacked. We may change it. None of it is permanent yet. The floor coating is also from Lowe's.

12108741_10204956556019793_7602224009821167498_n.jpg

That's the ones we have. Supposed to hold 1000lb per shelf. The two short ones are just one set not stacked. We may change it. None of it is permanent yet. The floor coating is also from Lowe's

Just add a 40 breeder or two and you can have a garage / shop / QT facility.
Just don't tell Jim I suggested it or I risk :debi:

Just add a 40 breeder or two and you can have a garage / shop / QT facility.
Just don't tell Jim I suggested it or I risk :debi:

LOL I actually wouldn't mind to set up a fish only tank or a freshwater planted tank out there. :)

Back