Hurricane Season: Power Back-ups

BriSape23

Ok, so now that the season is upon us...What is everyone doing to protect thier tanks for an extended power loss? I have purchased a battery-operated air unit, will be getting a generator soon...but other than that...are there any other products or ideas that I could implement?

if you want something small, quiet, and just for the tank ... look at the Honda EU units - they are Inverters ... small quiet motor runs a 12v alternator ... and from there on its an inverter (12v to 110/120v) ... very quiet, and fuel efficient ... i think they go up to 2500w

Be cautious with inverters, I set one up that was rated for 3000 watts. I wouldnt even run the freezer. After further research I found out that the cable from the battery to the inverter needs to be Zero gauge with battery terminal style connections, and I doubt a stock alternator can keep up. These things are designed for tractor trailors with huge alternators. Zero guage with terminals is not easy to work with either.

I ended up getting a 3550 watt generator from Lowes. FEMA paid for mine too (we had a major ice storm a year and half ago) I can run the tank, fridge, freezer and lots of lights off of it. The generator is definitely the way to go.

Sorry for butting in on your clubs forum. Just wanted to provide some input.

Tye

Tye,

no problem ob butting in ... always welcome good posts!

are you talking about a standard 12v to 120 inverter? like the kind you buy at autozone, harborfreight and/or homedepot? ... if so, i have had the same issue ... they sell 3000w inverters with little 12gauge wiring that melts & burns up 5 minutes after placing 1/2 a load on the thing ...

The honda equipment i am talking about is 1 unit .... there is nothing half assed about it, they are great units, very portable, very quiet, and they work well ... i've had the EU2000i for the past 2 years, and they work great - family outings, camping, car meets, hurricanes, construction sites ... but they are $$$!

Just getting a 3000w generator is def much cheaper, but also louder, larger(size), about 5 times as heavy, and consumes more fuel.

my suggestion is .. go to lowes & pick up one of their 7500w rated transfer panels - you install that, hardwire the circuits you want powered by your generator into your main breaker box, and get a portable generator ... the transfer switch is about $250 if i remember seeing correctly & powers either 6 or 8 circuits.

I think my home improvement budget is blown for this year, next year a 15-20KW generator will find its way to my house, with an automatic transfer switch, and 2 x 220g LP tanks underground. ( I HOPE!)

--mp

Yes I was talking about a standard 12v to 120v inverter. I didnt actually look at the like you had. Those look like nice little genetators. I went the cheaper route with regular generator. I works great for me.

Standard Generators are OK, but use alot of gas. I have a good set-up though, My neighbors on both sides of me ran extension cords from my generator to their houses for their fridges, and a light or two, so they paid for gas.

I have a generator for long term use and several simple battery operated air pumps with air stones for short term use. Used one just the other night as our power went out for 2 hours or so,

Back