Hydnophora Spawn

Kip

Eric Borneman,

I am new here, but have been browsing around for months...
anyway, after reading your article on repro in an aquarium i came home to find my green hydnophora doing what i believed to be spawing.

This was a frag that i received via trade about 2 weeks ago. It is in my new propagation/frag tank.

Tank conditions:
55gal running ~22x turnover
220w of VHO lighting (building 250 MH for it right now)
Ca ~440, dkh ~11, and pH 8.3ish, PO4 <.1, NO3 5, Sal 35

The temperature stays about 82, but yesterday when i got home from work ~6:00p EST, the tank had gotten to ~85. (AC problem in the house). The hydno was emitting small spherical masses from various "pores" all over the coral. Odd thing is this spawn happening about 1/2 way thru a 10 hr photoperiod on my tank. (I know a spawn usually happens at night) Then last night going to dinner, i noticed a bright full moon in the sky. So, it all came full circle to me that this was more than likely a spawn. What do you think? Here is a photo during... then a photo an hour after. I couldnt get a good shot of the actually offspring floating away from the frag, but got a good close shot of the frag itself emitting them. Here goes..... (the little yellow areas point to the "pores")

Kip
www.BillsExt.com/fishtank.htm

Hey Kip. I'm sure Eric is interested in this, but he's going to be very busy for quite a while. It may even be a month or so before he's back with enough time to check this out. FYI...

I also have a green hydnophora but I don't know that it spawned, but I did just notice on a rock below it a little green spot almost the size of the eraser on a pencil. My coral is completely healthy and there is no where on it that looks like something fell off. It stays 'pumped' up when the lights are on, and looks alot more fuzzy than the one in the pictures above. I am sure there are a few pictures of it in my gallery. I'll try to get a picture of it with the green spot on the rock below it, and post later.

hass this been answered already in The Coral Forum? If not, just say no and I'll be happy to respond.

Eric

oceanarus said:
I also have a green hydnophora but I don't know that it spawned, but I did just notice on a rock below it a little green spot almost the size of the eraser on a pencil. My coral is completely healthy and there is no where on it that looks like something fell off. It stays 'pumped' up when the lights are on, and looks alot more fuzzy than the one in the pictures above. I am sure there are a few pictures of it in my gallery. I'll try to get a picture of it with the green spot on the rock below it, and post later.

Well that spot I was talking about has turned white, must have been a piece that got ripped off by a crab or something. It stayed green for almost a week, so it had me wondering for a while there.

Congratulations on the spawn. Terrific and I believe a first report for Hydnophora. The eggs or egg/serm bundles appear to be dark reddish..is that correct? Can you send me those photos in high resolution? I may have more questions for you at some time that we can answer by email. Thansk for the report. EricHugo@aol.com

my eggs were dark reddish brown.... do you want my pics in hi-res? or the other guys? I was unable to get a shot of the eggs... i couldnt focus on something the small that was moving in the water current

Kip said:
or the other guys?

Don't think he was talking to me, don't believe mine spawned. Must have been some tissue that fell off for some reason. I was hoping it would develop into a new colony but it died after a couple weeks.

frogspawn6 said:
Don't think he was talking to me, don't believe mine spawned. Must have been some tissue that fell off for some reason. I was hoping it would develop into a new colony but it died after a couple weeks.

Ooops! That was me, my freind was logged in to the computer at work and I didn't notice b4 I posted.

Back