I’ve got a parasite problem

T Diddy

Happy to be here
Recently, I’ve noticed a couple of SPS in decline. STN has been a problem recently, and I’ve checked all the usual parameters. My water is way too clean, but that’s apparently not the biggest issue I’m facing. Now that some skeletons are exposed, I see some copepods of some sort moving around on the affected corals. They aren’t the typical “red/black bugs”. These are gray, oblong little critters.
My research has shown that there are a ToN of different parasitic bugs that affect corals, and I can’t get a picture of the ones in question. In any case, I’m hoping you guys can offer some solutions. I feel like dipping everything is going to be futile. Maybe some pipefish or mandarins would help? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

It’s an old thread and a lot of pics are broken but have you looked at this thread?

Or maybe these?

It’s an old thread and a lot of pics are broken but have you looked at this thread?

Or maybe these?

Thanks. I poured over the threads, and unfortunately, they suggested what I was afraid of. I’m going to try to mitigate the damage with some dipping, and add some fish that might help to control them naturally, but I’m not willing to go to the lengths required to eradicate them.

Thanks. I poured over the threads, and unfortunately, they suggested what I was afraid of. I’m going to try to mitigate the damage with some dipping, and add some fish that might help to control them naturally, but I’m not willing to go to the lengths required to eradicate them.
Maybe if you’re able to dip a couple and get some off to take pics or put under a microscope for pics.

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of pods eating SPS but I do know when I’ve had pod booms, I’d get a good reduction in hair algae.

Maybe if you’re able to dip a couple and get some off to take pics or put under a microscope for pics.

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of pods eating SPS but I do know when I’ve had pod booms, I’d get a good reduction in hair algae.
Yeah, I've never heard of pods eating SPS either. Would love to see pics under a microscope.

I’ll see if I can get any pictures worth loading.

As for the pods eating SpS, I found a couple of good articles and papers outlining the various parasitic pods (and there are a LOT) including red/black bugs. Eradicating them is something I’m not willing to do.

Recently, I’ve noticed a couple of SPS in decline. STN has been a problem recently, and I’ve checked all the usual parameters. My water is way too clean, but that’s apparently not the biggest issue I’m facing. Now that some skeletons are exposed, I see some copepods of some sort moving around on the affected corals. They aren’t the typical “red/black bugs”. These are gray, oblong little critters.
My research has shown that there are a ToN of different parasitic bugs that affect corals, and I can’t get a picture of the ones in question. In any case, I’m hoping you guys can offer some solutions. I feel like dipping everything is going to be futile. Maybe some pipefish or mandarins would help? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I went through the same thing and dosed Dylox into my tank. It is essentially the same ingredient that was in the older Bayer. It is made for parasitic copepods. It also killed flatworms, which I didn't know were in the tank. I dosed 4x the amount to my tank and I didn't notice any adverse affects while dosing. It wasn't until I dosed 50 mL of Ivermectin 6 hours later that I started to have some issues.

If you have parasites and dipping is not an option, then I would recommend this as a full tank treatment. Do some research, though. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

I went through the same thing and dosed Dylox into my tank. It is essentially the same ingredient that was in the older Bayer. It is made for parasitic copepods. It also killed flatworms, which I didn't know were in the tank. I dosed 4x the amount to my tank and I didn't notice any adverse affects while dosing. It wasn't until I dosed 50 mL of Ivermectin 6 hours later that I started to have some issues.

If you have parasites and dipping is not an option, then I would recommend this as a full tank treatment. Do some research, though. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

I’ll probably be messaging you later on this

It could be a parasite but they could just be eating dead tissue and you might have some other issue.

I’ve considered that, but I can’t think of any other explanation. Besides, my mithrax crabs are usually all over any tissue clean up, and they haven’t shown any interest.

I just picked up some more dip, so I’ll try that on a couple of affected frags.

So I'll put this from George up so it's easy to find. I never used it in an aquarium, (most likely why I still have most of it). So see what you see in this.

I wouldn’t add that to a tank. Pre-introduction dip…yes. Add to a tank, no.

Back