I am paranoid my aquarium will explode.

IMO new or use tanks, there is always a risk of it breaking, its just the nature of the hobby!!! If it's going to happen it will happen when your not expecting it. If it does happen it is what it is and we just have to deal with it. You cant just be worrying about it constantly, if thats the case, then this hobby might not be for u...

Talk about a ticking time bomb. Let's talk sumps. If not designed properly, if a pump fails or you have a power outage your DT will drain out. We had a large canister on a system and it had developed a hair-line crack which allowed air around the o-ring. If we ever had a power outage the tank would have drained out. Caught it before that happened.

why not wait for the Petco dollar a gallon sale and get a new 40B? It would be the same approximate size, but would be new and less likely to have issues from deterioration and resealing.

I appreciate all the responses, opinions and especially for support. I'll definitely use your advice, Sk8r. And I am less worried now, knowing that things like that are not likely to happen, but still I am very glad I can do some things that can provide more safety. About hobby.. I don't think there is right or wrong. We do it and we either enjoy it or not.

Lol---thank you, szb. When you've been a while in the hobby and want to get The Tank of Indestructibility, suggest looking at some of the near-indestructibles: 5/8ths inch glass with corner bracing of same glued in. THe larger tanks tend to do that, or to go acrylic because of weight. My 50-gallon of that thickness weighs 80 lbs empty. My 105 gallon I'm not sure, but it took two guys and a strong woman to lift it onto the stand.

SHort of that, you CAN minimize danger simply by using that eggcrate lighting grid bottom liner. That means you never have a rockwork collapse careening into your tank glass. Put that down, put a few staggered heavy rocks down on the eggcrate that will stick up above the sand, and build your rockwork atop those spires/pilings, and it will be pretty solid. I have a palm-sized domino damsel that loves to get under the rocks and sweep all the sand out with mighty flutterings of her rather broad tail, and if I hadn't taken that precaution, I'd have reefslide-city here, but she can sweep all she likes: that rockwork stands up to her.

Last edited:
I had the privilege of flooding an apartment below me once. Faulty CPR overflow / aqua lifter. Needless to say, I only run tanks with pre-drilled out holes now. It doesn't have to shatter to cause thousands of dollars in damages. How the person below me had both their laptops, digital camera, cell phones, and other expensive items all in the effected area was beyond me. Thank God for Renters Insurance. I strongly recommend it if you're going to do any type of a tank that's not on the ground level of an apartment. Now that I'm a home owner, flood insurance is must for being in this hobby. Learned my lesson the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're quite right: it's not so much your tank exploding as the human part of the system forgetting to set a timer when running the ro/di filter; or some brands of skimmer spitting after a power out and restart (put tubes on the overflow points to run overflow back into the tank)

And above all a water alarm.

Back