I hate my skimmer

THEUNION1

So i got this ASM G3 because some fish store (Sea Side) told me its the best one for my set up they had in the store and he highly recommends it. It works "ok" but its finicky af and i can't seem to keep it skimming good. One day its a beast and the next doesn't seem to be working at all. Also, it takes up almost the entire drain area in my sump which also is less than ideal for me.

Water level in sump is stable btw.

So my reason for this post is (besides a mini rant) is to see what your opinion is for the best room saving skimmer on the market for a 120g. I'd like one that will work for a high bio load.

I know this is probably a normal post but i want to know what you think is the best TODAY not last month or last year.

Thanks,
Lou

Best is relative..
If I had a 120G tank with a decent bioload I'd likely get a Bubble Magus Curve 7..
I'm very happy with the Curve 5 I have on my 80G tank..

I have ASM G5 for my 2 tanks. Love it! I replaced the skimmer pumps with mag drive pumps as the original pumps impellers swollen and they are not cheap to replace. Is your skimmer mod with gate valve for better tuning?
There is a whole thread dedicated to ASM owners here somewhere.

It works "ok" but its finicky af

IMO this is every skimmer. I have a Vertex Alpha right now, which I am more or less happy with, but I have never had a skimmer that I was 100% happy with.

Tuning a skimmer is like tuning an engine on a car. Slight changes in water chemistry and surrounding air and weather conditions make it act differently.

IMO this is every skimmer. I have a Vertex Alpha right now, which I am more or less happy with, but I have never had a skimmer that I was 100% happy with.

Tuning a skimmer is like tuning an engine on a car. Slight changes in water chemistry and surrounding air and weather conditions make it act differently.

So if my water is very clean it won't skim? I guess that makes sense, since theirs no waste to skim. Suuuuper green at skimmer tech.

So if my water is very clean it won't skim? I guess that makes sense, since theirs no waste to skim. Suuuuper green at skimmer tech.

That's one of the main reasons you don't buy a skimmer rated for 500g when you have a 120g. You dont have the bioload to push anything up to the skimmer cup. It'll skim for a few hours then die down. Maybe that's what you are going through with your g3?

Like I have such good nutrient export that I only run my skimmer 6 hours a day at night.

That's one of the main reasons you don't buy a skimmer rated for 500g when you have a 120g. You dont have the bioload to push anything up to the skimmer cup. It'll skim for a few hours then die down. Maybe that's what you are going through with your g3?

Like I have such good nutrient export that I only run my skimmer 6 hours a day at night.

I didn't know what the rating was on it but that makes sense. The store owner told me thats what i needed. I even questioned if it can be too big and he said it can't ever be too big... It was an impulse buy. I wasn't even there for a skimmer, just sand. I should have done my research first.

My water quality sure is spot on though. I guess not seeing a lot of skimmate just messed with my head a little. I keep seeing people say, "if the water quality is good, don't change anything", which could most likely be the best advice i have read so far.

Thank you.

I didn't know what the rating was on it but that makes sense. The store owner told me thats what i needed. I even questioned if it can be too big and he said it can't ever be too big... It was an impulse buy. I wasn't even there for a skimmer, just sand. I should have done my research first.

My water quality sure is spot on though. I guess not seeing a lot of skimmate just messed with my head a little. I keep seeing people say, "if the water quality is good, don't change anything", which could most likely be the best advice i have read so far.

Thank you.

I mean tbh I have always had skimmers rater for higher gallon tanks than what I have.

The way I see it, I know I am going to upgrade tank size eventually and the price difference between skimmer sizes is marginal at best. I don't want to have to buy a new skimmer each time I upgrade so I adjust my skimmers accordingly to the tank they are currently on.

But yes, if your tank bioload is not high enough, there will not be much to skim.

I mean tbh I have always had skimmers rater for higher gallon tanks than what I have.

The way I see it, I know I am going to upgrade tank size eventually and the price difference between skimmer sizes is marginal at best. I don't want to have to buy a new skimmer each time I upgrade so I adjust my skimmers accordingly to the tank they are currently on.

But yes, if your tank bioload is not high enough, there will not be much to skim.

Awesome. I can invest in better lighting then by saving on a new skimmer.

Awesome. I can invest in better lighting then by saving on a new skimmer.

Exactly.

For skimmers, lighting, reactors, I always buy them larger knowing I will grow into them and I dial them back.

Some people disagree, but why would I want to buy a middle of the line equipment and have to constantly purchase new stuff each upgrade. I see that as a waste of money. You can always dial equipment back, I have never had issues with this. You get into problems when your trying to hammer a skimmer thats rated for 250 gallons and you now have a 500 gallon system.

The same logic I use in my lighting. I purchased variable output halide ballasts that can perform at 175-250-400-400HQI wattage. I used them at the 250 setting on my last, smaller tank. On the current one, all it took was a change of halide bulbs and a switch of the dial and I was off to the races with 400w halides

You still can use your skimmer in small tank by increase the water level couple inches in skimmer body. There are many ways to do that. Exp: close output valve, close air valve, remove or adjust the skimmer stand down.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

The G3 was a great skimmer, but as noted above you have to have enough bio-load for it. If you do not have enough it will shut down for a while until enough has built up to be skimmed out. I ran this skimmer for years and found it to be very effective. I also had a high bio-load with heavy feeding.

A few old pics when it was on my old 125.

g3mesh1.jpg

g3meshmod12-26.jpg

Edit...I modded this skimmer in more ways that I can remember, but put of the box it is pretty well balanced.

One thing that can make skimmers real finicky is running them in to deep of water. They may skim great one day then overflow the next. U didn’t mention how deep the skimmer section is but it may be worth raising the skimmer to see if it helps.

If you are going down the road of another skimmer may want to consider if you have any upgrades in your future. You can always buy a skimmer that supports a larger system to your 120. That is what I did over 18 years ago when I bought my Life Reef skimmer for my 100 gallon. Recently moved it to my 210 gallon and it is working great.

Just something to consider.

I just purchased a quantum nyos about three months ago. It's only the second protein skimmer I have owned but so far it works amazingly. It is oversized for my set up but hopefully I will get a bigger tank in the future.

It's pretty well built and the cup is very easy to remove and clean. I do not have alot of room above my skimmer and this was the perfect option for me to be able to clean the cup easily
93bbc72e7d5ab97f74ca665726ffa5c3.jpg
15f53dd3d9993cd338260a84a3cb0590.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a G3 going strong since 2005. Beast of a skimmer. I have a aquatrance 2000 on it now and the gate valve mod. Honestly I don’t see how another skimmer can out perform this thing. Buy your shiny toys but the G3 is proven.

Back