I have seen the light!

I have had three people contact me concerning the bulbs. Including the two I am taking for myself i have 8 of the 12 spoken for. That leaves four bulbs for the taking.

BJ,

I just finished building my canopy this weekend and installed the lights per your instructions and all i can say is...WOW. although i am not using VHO for supplementation, i am using 4 x 55W PC's and the light is very nice. Its not yellow at all, but rather white. I think the MV ballasts really make a difference. Only time will tell. I got some cool ideas from your other thread (Part II) and it worked out great! Thanks.

I have been working on a 400W DIY metal halide. During my search, I came across this website:

http://www.affordablelighting.com

They have really good prices for surplus ballasts and lights. I purchased a 400W F-can type (enclosed and potted) ballast for $71 plus shipping. I believe they carry the two MH ballasts in Josh Sanjay's article on DIY metal halide (72C6082-N-P and 1110-2475C-TC)

Craig

I WANT TO SEE THE LIGHT

I WANT TO SEE THE LIGHT

ARE ANY OF YOU CURRENTLY USING THIS LIGHT SYSTEM ON THERE REEF TANKS AND IS YOUR REEF LIFE DOING WELL?

I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED REGARDING MV & MH LAMPS.

IS THE IWASAKI LAMP MV OR MH???? I FIND THE IWASAKI LAMP UNDER MH FROM LIGHTING SUPPLIERS. PLEASE SHED A LITTLE LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME.

I READ ELSEWHERE THAT YOU SHOULD NOT USE MV FOR REEF TANKS.

CURRENTLY I AM LOOKING FOR A MH LIGHTING SYSTEM AND IF THIS SYSTEM WILL DO THE JOB I'M GOING TO BUILD IT.

BY THE WAY EXCELLANT THREAD!

SSeal,

First to answer your question. Teh Iwasaki is what is called a MV conversion lamp. It is sold as a MH lamp by EYE lighting (Iwasaki), however it must be run on a MV ballast. I hope that clears it up for you.

BJ,

Quick question for you about the Ballasts. I got mine in the mail today (YAHOOOOOO). Just to make sure I am reading the wiring diagram right I wanted to run this by you. There four wires comming from the ballast. One marked Lamp, one marked 120V and two marked COM. According to the diagram one of the Com's and the lamp go to the lamp. And one of the Com's and the 120V go to the power source or plug. Do I have this right? Also where and how did you ground these bad boys? Did you attach right to the core?

I am so fired up, I have all the lamps, the two ballasts, the mogul bases and reflectors. I actually just screwed in one of the lamps into the base to see what it looks like. I'm like a kid in a candy store. I will let you all know what the Iwasakis look like with the new 96 Actinics I just got.

One other thing. How did you attach the ballast to the inside of the box? I was going to run screws though the holes in the magnet and into the box ( also a ground I suppose). Is that what you did. Also did you put more than one in a box and did you vent it or add any type of fan?

signu,

Your wiring statement is correct. To ground I ran a wire from the bottom hole on a 3 prong outlet to the reflector/socket etc. For the ballast I placed mine in a metal enclosure (HD) that has a 2"x1" slot on the top. I used a few dabs of silicone to get it to stay in place, silicone dries rubbery allowing the ballast to move a bit, but not really rattle. They do get hot, so far no prob with the silicone melting... the 2x1" slot is enough venting. Be careful though, once you turn the ballast off, it takes a good 20mins before you can turn it back on again (maybe it's just the way I have mine wired up though). At first I thought they were a little too yellow for me, then I realized it was just the reflection from all the algae in my tank! ;)

Nick

BALLAST COSTS

BALLAST COSTS

signu459

What model of ballast did you purchase. Where did you buy it and how much did it cost.

I contacted Graybar regarding both ballasts 71A3802 and 71A3572. They wanted about $77 for either one.

bjmumy, paid $23 for his 71A3802 ballast...good deal.

Anyhow, I am really looking hard for a good deal on the 71A3572 ballast. Best price I have found so far is $50 each.

If anyone finds a better price on the 71A3572 ballast please let me/us know.

Also, thanks for clearing up my concerns on the Iwasaki lamp.

I got the 3802, so far I like it. I paid $25 each, I had to get them from the Cincinatti Braybar because the one near me sucks. Cincinattie shipped them to me for around $8. As far as the 3572 if can get them for $50 that is good deal IMO, the best I found was $55 I think.

Good Luck!

$50 is a good price for the 3572. I found it locally for $55, and bought one for $44 (favor from a lighting distributor).

--Colin

I'm so glad I came across these postings. You folks have sure been a help. A buddy of mine just dropped me off two 400W MH's the other day. They do fire up, but they're in gawdawful, painted aluminum fixtures. I've been re-engineering these things in my head for awhile. I think I'll be able to get around to guttin' the things this coming week. I'll let you know what I find out about serial numbers on the transformer and capacitor. There are no existing numbers on the bulbs and I need to find out what bulbs are compatible with this stuff, if I can even use 'em. If things work out, I'm gonna hafta go get the rest of these my buddy has layin' around. He's got several more and they're free! Needless to say, I'm keepin' my fingers crossed. Any other words of advice/warning would be most appreciated. Take Care...

Just got my 71A3802 ballasts today from the Graybar down the street. Paid $25 each. Can't believe they sell them to the gen public for $73 each. They look like old pieces of junk..but as long as they do the trick! Now I just have to wait 6-8 months to use up my new 175watt bulbs before I make the switch.

Back