I know it is good for the fish.....

bigevill1

Big and Evil
but will it kill my lawn? I am tearing down the tank this weekend, almost everything alive is out of it, then the waters got to go. I was thinking about pumping it out on my lawn. will the salt water kill it? I am pretty sure it will, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Not only will it kill your grass, it will take a long time before anything will grow back. The salt will remain in the top layers of your soil for quite some time before finally seeping low enough into the ground for grass to grow.

You really shouldnt do that either most street drains lead to rivers or other untreated water and as a result all your salt got dumped into the river and salt buildup in the nations rivers and resulting farmland is bad run it down the domestic drains next time please.

LOL That was a good one!!!!!! You read my mind Bigevill.

As for the water, I pour it around my brick chips and border of my driveway or any place I don't want grass or weeds. Please if anyone doesn't like what I did please don't respond. I'm not into arguing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7317548#post7317548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scchase
You really shouldnt do that either most street drains lead to rivers or other untreated water and as a result all your salt got dumped into the river and salt buildup in the nations rivers and resulting farmland is bad run it down the domestic drains next time please.

I doubt that any waste treatment plant has the ability to remove the salt from the water. So, even if you do dump your water down the drain, the salt will end up being dump into the rivers.

(Note: removing salt from the water is a rather expensive process. This is why California takes so much water from the Colorado river rather then just getting their water from the ocean.)

Greg

Considering people wash their cars in the driveway with soap, use pesticides on their lawns and all other types of chemical run off into the street drains, the last thing you have to worry about is salt getting into a river.

I leave my water change water in buckets on my front porch to evaporate in the sun for 6 mos. After ALL the water has evaporated I then scrape all the salt residue into a container I stole for radioactive waste. Once that fills I will throw it in the back of my truck and drive from Indy to New Mexico and bribe the operators to put my salt next to the waste from the nuclear reactors. I think I'm very considerate of our environment :p

Or you could just leave the water in abucket (or 55 gallon rubbermaid) and let the water evaporate off..... then dispose of the salt/proteins/muck/etc.

After the Romans destroyed Carthage they sowed the fields with salt so it would never grow food again. Not exactly miracle grow.

If you have St. Augustine grass it will not hurt it as long as it is kinda spread out. St. Augustine Grows well around ocean and bay spray areas. I actually have a big green spot in my backyard where I dump my change water and skimmer cup.

that may be more from the skimmer poo than from the salt water. But you ae correct about St. Augustine.

Wow saltwater for St. Augustine, It took me 2 years to get this st. aug sod/crap to grow using regular water. Jay will you be my FWC buddy I just got out of the military and was considering applying...serious about applying not really about the buddy...unless you want a buddy..hahahaha..

Back