i screwed up, HELP

There is no evidence that garlic does anything but make fish want to eat it. It certainly doesn't cure ich. It might... and might is the operative word... raise the ability of the fish to tolerate the negatives of being infected, and thus look like it "cures" the fish.

It would be like living in a patch of poison ivy, but applying calamine lotion to make it not feel as bad. The calamine lotion will make you feel better, and might even cure all outward signs of the poison ivy, but it will not remove the poison ivy plant. You'll just have to get used to it, and live with the occasional itchy scratching, bleeding, and chance for infection... no problem.

Treating ich with garlic is just as irresponsable.

Aside from the hyposalinity there is no "CURE" just treatments that alleviate the severity or frequency of the outbreaks. Some fish do attain an immunity to ich, but that is hit or miss. the theory behind the garlic, the selcon, the vitamin C ect. is that it boosts the fishes immune system so that it can ward off the ich on its own.

Another remedy (not cure) is to add a couple of cleaner fish (blue striped gobies - Gabiosoma oceanops, and a few other closely related species are inexpensive, and very low impact). My tang had had recurring outbreaks of ich, which over time got less frequent, but still recurred, until I added a pair of the blue-stripes, I have not seen ich recur in the tank in the 2 years plus I have had them, they will swim alongside my tang and pick off dead scales, parasites, whatever from them, hard to tell what it is they are munching on, cause it is too small for me to see :)

Although I have not had an outbreak in over 2 years, I do not harbor the belief that my tank is "CURED" just in remission.

If your qt isn't large enough just use a rubbermaid garbage can. They are 40 bucks at home depot.

Might not be Ich. Could be stress related. If it is Ich then after a couple days the other fish have been exposed. Sometimes you get lucky and it is from stress if so, it will clear up in 2-3 days

Back