I want to change the zooxanthellae of my coral!!!

Tripod1404

Hi guys, This is more of a question about the possibility, I am not actually wanting or trying to do this but I am curious if it is possible.

I know in nature corals can be colonized by different species zooxanthellae and so the same coral specie can have different color morphs depending on the algae it is hosting.

It is also possible for a coral to bleach and lose its zooxanthellae and then get colonized by a different zooxanthellae specie and possibly change color.

Did any of you ever experienced something like this, meaning a coral changing coral, or a bleached coral getting colonized by a different zooxanthellae?

Zooxanthellae are brown in coloration and do not make up the coloration of a coral or invertebrate, this isn't a possibility, sorry to tell you.

You're getting into the realm of the genetics of corals, not zooxanthellae. Some corals have the coding for a range of fluorescing and chromo proteins and might adjust their colors in response to a change in zooxantheallae. Other corals only make one flourescing protein irregardless of the species of zooxanthellae (Green Slimer, Acropora youngi for example).

Yes they are brown in color, zooxanthellae are dinoflagellates (brown algae). But if I am not wrong, the photosynthetic and photoprotection pigments produced by the zooxanthellae give the corals their color. Once bleached their bare skeleton of calcium carbonate gets exposed so they appear white.

This experiment has been done quite a bit over the years, if you want to see for yourself it's not hard to do on meatier corals like LPS and anemones..... Take coral A (bleached) and inject zooxanthellae from coral B. Make a thread and document step by step, I'm sure new people in the hobby would enjoy seeing it.

Ah dang it happened again. Just when you think you understand something in this hobby, something comes along suggesting it just ain't so (post #2). There is a lot of information out there stating that zoox have quite a role to play in coloration. I'm going to try & sift through it again when I get the chance.

Anecdote: I purchased pure teal colored candy cane corals years ago. Much later I mounted another color morph (neon green) right beside them. When the polyps expanded & grew together, the teal colored ones all slowly gained a neon colored center. Can't say for sure what was happening but I assumed it was possibly a zoox transfer.

Last edited:
Zooxanthellae do play a role in every coral, they help the pigmentation in their skin look colorful and fluoresce. In the case of the candy canes wouldn't it be more likely that the pigmentation of the skin morphed? Or perhaps GFP infection? Why does it have to be the zooxanthellae?

Anyways I'm by no means an expert, I just don't think it's possible as I've seen people try and fail over the years.

I know nothing about the physiology but I've read many instances of a bleached anemone being fed a piece of a healthy anemone to gain back some zooxanthellae. It didn't matter if you fed it red, blue, orange, green colors. The anemone always only regained back it's innate color.

Like mentioned before, color =proteins, simply adding different zooanxthelle won't change the DNA of the coral, zooanxthelle provides nutrition and energy via photosynthesis, that's about it.

I was searching threads to get info on change of coral color because I had this happen to a monti. This is an old post but I don't understand how the respondents are so certain. From my understanding zooxanthellae has a great deal to do with coral color and I am surprised to see what looks like a remedial understanding stated with such conviction. It has me thinking maybe I don't understand but I think I do. I just felt the need to post so that someone doesn't get incorrect info if they find this.

Does anyone else see this? I understand the color=proteins and DNA things but that's not something unique to coral as far as I know. Color from zooxanthellae is. Is this not something most of us know as common knowledge at this point?

Back