Ich and maybe another disease

Hedgemo55

We have a 210 gallon tank since August of 2019 and have coral and fish. We recently found the fish not looking so good and they began to die. We have since bought another tank and removed all the fish out of the display and put them in a 32 gallon tank. We lost 1 more a clown fish but he was looking really bad in the display tank. We thought we could lose a few after taking them out so it wasn't unexpected but still don't like losing fish. Our store looked at the pics we took and thought it was ich and maybe a disease. We have treated the water in the hospital tank with recommended copper. Most in this tank look better right now.
We were wondering how long do we need to keep them isolated and how long do we treat with the copper? Any help would be appreciated as we have lost 1/2 of our fish to whatever this is. We believe ich as you can see some white spots on some of the fish. This all happened very quickly. We also rebuilt the rock and put all coral back as well as shrimp and snails and conchs back into the display as we understand they would die from copper so they are in the original tank. We also do 25% water changes each week with the display tank, which brings up another question how often should I change the water in the quarantine tank and what amount at a time?

Thanks for any info you can provide from experience or expertise to save our fish and prevent this from happening. We will be putting any new fish purchases in quarantine from now on and wonder if we should treat with copper or something else before putting them in the display tank.

Jim and PC

I've not experienced Ich myself but have certainly read lots about other's experiences. It is recommended to run a tank fallow for 76 days to eliminate Ich.

For the QT it all depends on your filtration. I recommend putting in a SeaChem Ammonia Alert and keeping an eye on that, as well as regular water testing. Until you have enough biological filtration going on to eliminate Ammonia and Nitrites you need to be regularly changing water, how much depends on the levels. Once that is under control you just need to keep an eye on Nitrates. In a fish only QT levels up to 20 ppm is fine, beyond that some fish will start to get unhappy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am in the same situation, from my research I am to run display the tank empty for two months, and two clowns I saved in QT for two weeks with copper and then normal till the DT is ready. QT every fish I get from now on, I am new to this had to learn the hard way....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back