Ich or something else - decisions needed asap

seeker88

If you don't care about the pre-details, you can go to the next paragraph...We added three fish to our new 150 gallon tank yesterday. Tank has been up for 9 weeks, haven't had ammonia/nitrites since week 4 and have been starting to fill it with corals. The fish we added were a yellow eye kole, a yellow tang, and a melanarus wrasse. All three are juveniles sitting around 3 inches each. Although never preferred, there were a few reasons we added them at once: one year anniversary buy 2 get 1 free, all 3 were in the same tank at the lfs, and we already have a 1" damsel we used to help cycle tank after ammonia dropped (I know i'm a horrible person) so we thought it'd decrease chances of targeted aggression. The yellow eye and the melanarus have both been in the lfs display tank for about a month, with them being in the lfs quarantine for at least 2 weeks prior to that. Not sure on the yellow tang. After endlessly checking them out, getting to see them eat, and seeing no foul signs I decide to get them. Since all three had been together for some time already, I decided to forego QT'n first (maybe my biggest mistake reef'n yet...).

On to the case... bag floated for 15 and drip acclimated for 45 minutes. Put them in the tank with lights off. Melanarus dives into the sand and the tangs go and hide in the back. Lights come on 2 hours later and I swear those tangs act like the have already been in the tank forever. Both are swimming around taking turns following each other, could care less about the damsel (who luckily was more afraid of them) and all seems well. Wait a sec... are those WHITE SPOTS on the yellow eye kole??? Yep, sure enough, there are quite a few white spots on the left side of the kole. The spots are spaced out about 1cm between each other and all towards the top left side of the kole. He's showing zero signs of stress besides not liking me putting my face to the glass to inspect him. So I put in garlic and selcon soaked food to help boost their immune systems for their upcoming stressful venture and the tangs both ate like COWS. Since I know QTn is my only probable solution and knowing my tank is now likely infested, I decide I'm going to wait till the next day since it's past midnight and decide tomorrow's action plan: quarantine all 4 fish and let the tank sit for 6-8 weeks or return the 3 to the store, qt the damsel and wait it out before going again. I wake up this morning and of course immediately run to the tank, and all the fish are out and about looking happy as can be (including the melanurus which I was already anticipating a 1-2 week wait to see him). I turn on the lights to get a better look at him and the spots are gone... so what is going on? Maybe if I do a water change it'll cure everything? (joking) I know Ich can turn up in a few hours, but I thought the visible cycle lasted a few days? If it was flukes wouldn't I have seen them at the store or when he was in the bag? Did my better half drug me and I'm just seeing things?

What would you do? Since my display would already be infected, am I hurting myself by waiting a few days to see what's going on?

I have a good understanding of freshwater Ich and although different parasites, to my knowledge the fish signs for them are generally the same. I've only been reef'n for a year and a half (jbj28) but I think a lot of husbandry is transferable. I have also read both of Snorvich's stickies on Ich (THANK YOU for your great write ups) as well as countless other disease stories/stickies. Parameters are in check: 1.025 sal, 0 nh3, 0 no2, 5 or under no3, non detectable levels of po4, 400 cal and 9 kh.

Sorry for the novel and thank you in advance for your help! :reading:

Here's two pics:

O7FTZCV.jpg

3RfYAQp.jpg

He refused to show me his "bad side" last night but this was the best I could do. In the first picture you can kind of see the spots I was seeing. Again, these are not on him 10 hours later.

Could it have just been sand?

I have a kole as well! Love the little guy. When I first got him, I had the same signs you are experiencing. I'm not saying this is the same case.... But I started soaking my food in garlic and vitamins and it actually went away on its own. Just keep a close eye on him. If it gets any worse, I would consider qt

Listen to Snorvich and put those fish through tank transfer method. It will not hurt to wait a few days (assuming it's Ich- which is what it looks like) to acquire supplies and get situated assuming there is no labored breathing.

^agree with Sarah....Hi Sarah:)
Snorvich is the authority on this disease (and many others). I find TT to be the easiest of all ich treatments.

These guys are completely right btw.. I just wanted to state that the biggest reason for ich is a compromised immune system due to stress, diet etc. Just because I was extremely lucky with my tang doesn't mean you SHOULDNT qt haha. Didn't mean to mislead

Thanks for the advice. I've read the TT method does put additional stress on them, so even though I know it's prob the right thing to do... it makes it very hard to want to put stress on a fish that seems perfectly fine (for the moment).

I have a 25 gallon brute and a 40 gallon long that I'd be using for the TT. Think there would be enough space in the 40 to house these 4 fish for up to two months?

^agree with Sarah....Hi Sarah:)
Snorvich is the authority on this disease (and many others). I find TT to be the easiest of all ich treatments.

Hey Newsmyrna80! Wish I lived in Florida this time of year, or any time for that matter.

TT isn't stressful, dying is.

All fish in the display need to be removed and treated. The fallow period needs to be minimum of 72 days.

Also, the ONLY cause of marine ich is Cryptocaryon irritans. Garlic and vitamins do not make it go away on its own.

I wanted to provide a quick follow up:
All fish have now been in quarantine for 3 weeks. Due to time and equipment availability, I decided to use Cupramine instead of the TT method.

I'm currently at .35 ppm Cupramine and will be holding this level till the day after New Years (January 2nd). It took it slow and brought the Cupramine to this level of the course of over two weeks. After 1/2/15 I'll remove with carbon and hold them in Quarantine till January 29 ZZzzz...

BTW - All fish handled the slow dosing of Cupramine very well. They've been eating like nothings changed and acting normal. For the wrasse I added in a bowl of sand. After he found it he quickly made it his home. He's still been on the same sleep schedule since putting him in QT and sleeps in his bowl every night :)

Keep your fingers crossed for me that everyone makes it through okay!

Back