ID Acro - Borealis?

Rollins4Miles

So I'm not great with the identification of corals. Somehow I got it in my mind that this was an ORA Borealis. I'm not sure how I came upon that conclusion as I thought it was something else for a year until I looked up what I thought it was and it wasn't even close. It looks to me the skeletal structure along with polyps and color resemble the Borealis but the growth pattern doesn't fit. Mine seems to grow in a tabling manner while everyone else's seems to grow vertical. The base is green with blue tips and brown/green polyps. I'm not sure if the whole coral would turn blue if the polyps didn't get in the way. It grows fast. I cut a one inch piece off of a three inch frag every four to six weeks. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For the pictures I used an iPhone photography app that I am able to eliminate excessive blue light. The pictures are slightly sharpened and undersaturated to get the best image I could. Photos were taken under 250W 22K MH with supplemental four bulb T5 (3 blue 1 purple). Hopefully they show up on the computer as clear as they are on my phone.

Attachments

• SPS(1).jpg
    SPS(1).jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SPS(2).jpg
    SPS(2).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SPS(3).jpg
    SPS(3).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SPS(4).jpg
    SPS(4).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
I would say it can't be ORA's Borealis because it did not come with that lineage. There are many different species of Acropora that can have long PE and be blue. It doesn't mean they all originated from the ORA farm.

I would give a guess on the species but the polyps are in the way. Can you take a pic of the largest most developed piece with the polyps retracted?

I was finally able to get around to taking some more photos. I hope they give you enough to work with.

I know I have the receipt somewhere. It's buried with some old files which doesn't make it any easier to locate.

Attachments

• sps(5).jpg
    sps(5).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
  • sps(6).jpg
    sps(6).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
  • sps(7).jpg
    sps(7).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 0
  • sps(8).jpg
    sps(8).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
  • sps(9).jpg
    sps(9).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
It's really tough because of its size. I clearly see lots of tubular axial corallites but it is not big enough to have grown any radials yet. Any idea of what type of colony it will grow into? Table, cluster, stag, etc?

If I had to take a wild guess right now I would say maybe Acropora cytherea. http://coral.aims.gov.au/factsheet.jsp?speciesCode=0020

Back