ID and Kill Aiptasia anemones

tewebb

Just put in live sand and 5 good pieces of live rock yesterday in my 75g tank.
I understand that Aiptansia anemones are bad for your reef system. I am pretty sure I have about 3 or 4 of them. One is dark brown and is about 1" high. The others are small.
How do I make sure that they are the Aiptasia type anemones and how do I kill them off.
Unable to do a search right now. I just signed up and joined as a premium member but I understand it takes a day or two before I get the membership entitlement's.

Thanks for you help in this matter. I need all I can get.

Tom

Can you take any pictures? I usually take a medical syringe I got from my stepmother (she's a nurse) and fill it with a think kalk paste. The kalk is just Mrs. Wage's Pickling Lime and water. I take the needle and stab it into the middle of the side of the cylindrical column of the anemone. Then squirt a bunch into the anemone. I've done this to three of them and it worked every time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14185169#post14185169 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NirvanaFan
Can you take any pictures? I usually take a medical syringe I got from my stepmother (she's a nurse) and fill it with a think kalk paste. The kalk is just Mrs. Wage's Pickling Lime and water. I take the needle and stab it into the middle of the side of the cylindrical column of the anemone. Then squirt a bunch into the anemone. I've done this to three of them and it worked every time.
Can't take any pictures now. Plus not sure how to post them any ways. I have heard something about stinging them with something. Not sure about the "think kalk paste" your talking about.

The easiest way to go after aptasia's is to buy one of the products made to kill them.
One is Joes Juice and another is Aptasia X.

google aptasia and manjano anemones. There are some good pictures there. Also peppermint shrimp will often eat aptasia (but not manjanos).

The easiest way I have found to kill aptasia's is to take some RO/DI water get it boiling in a pot on the stove, and use a large syringe (without the needle), draw in as much boiling water as possible, hurry over to the tank and blast as many of those boogers as you can. You need to do this as fast as you can, because the water in the syringe will start to cool once you submerge it in the tank water, becareful though as you don't want to scald anything else (including yourself).

my $0.02

Miike

I use kalk because it is cheap. You can buy a 1 pound container of Mrs. Wages for like $3. Plus, you can use it in your top of water as an alk/calcium supplement.

I went to my LFS and told them that the rock they had sold me had aptasia and they gave me a free peppermint shrimp. The little guy took care of all of the aptasia within a couple of days.

I also had an aptasia when I bought my live rock. I tried the boiling water and syringe and thought it worked fantastic when it looked like it melted it away, except a couple of weeks later there where two baby ones growing out of the one that i killed. I got a peppermint shrimp and after a week he ate one of them, i'm just waiting for the other one to go. I also have some majanos so I bought Joe's Juice. I haven't used it yet because I'm afraid I'll make a mess. The LFS told me to syphon out the joe's juice after I applied it and killed the majano and to try to suck the dead anemone out too but i have no idea how to do that. The majanos have placed themselves in tricky places and if they retract I'm not sure i'll be able to reach them. Any suggestions?

Back