ID please PICS

t11t5

I love Bass
Premium Member
This thing started out about 3/8" long. Now its about 1" long. I have never looked at the other side. Just the part that sticks to the glass. Here is a few pics.

150g105E.jpg
[/IMG]

150g104E.jpg
[/IMG]

It looks like a chiton to me, but they are real slow growers from what I read.

Looks like the underside of a chiton to me too. Why don't you take it out & photograph it from the top?

I dont see it very often. the next time it appears I will take it out and take a pic. Thanks

Nice chiton! Do you see trails in the algae below the sand where it grazes? I think it is interesting that they often burrow into the sand against the glass. I wouldn't think that much algae grows on rocks below the sand in nature.

I've only been lucky enough to have a few of these over the years and not in my current system. Chitons are cool creatures... I have some really cool limpets in this system though ;)

FIW, the ones I have had didnt burrow, they were all rock and glass grazers.

This one does not go above the sand. Well I have never seen it. It leaves trails in the sand. Very interesting to see, When I see it.

It looks like a Cryptoplax species of chiton. I don't know if they are "Cryto-" because they like to hide, or because they hide most of their plates...

Cheers,

Don

I did notice them on the rocks at night. But as soon as light gets to them they slide down to the sand and disappear.

Back