id please

sprite

its getting brighter everday since i put it under 250w ab 10k
50927DSCF1062.jpg

that pic i posted is a top down...lookin at it from the side the branches are alot closer together than that pic and the polyps are tanish color also its almost like a bush..

edit... i just googled australian delicate staghorn and mine looks nothing like any of the pics.... i will get a side shot and show you what im talking about

Looks like A. lokani, but resembles A. turaki a bit, just doesn't look 'weepy' enough.

The Aussie Staghorn is A. subglabra.

You might want to post an updated pic. Jamie's one of your best bets on identifying a coral, so if he didn't know what it was a couple of months ago, new growth could help.

Sprite, that baby has really done some growing! Good work. The foto is not detailed enough, but the form reminds me of two not too closely related, but similar species; A. loripes and A. longicyanthus (when young). I tend to the former. Do you have or have seen an A. granulosa? A. loripes has similar proportions, but the form is more a bush (caespitose) and the axials are less than half as long as granulosa (which tends to table). All members of the loripes group have a very smooth coenosteum and plump-looking corallites. Members of the echinata group, to which A. longicyanthus belongs, have a much finer general appearance with a often reticulate coenosteum that one can just make-out under the tissues.

Now that it has grown a bit, I see it cannot be either A. turaki or A. lokani. Good that you continue to show fotos, there is a lot of knowledge to be gleened from these developement comparison.

MechEng, thanks for the confidence, but you do realize how much guess-work is actually involved. Fotos are tough to judge! I hope people try to cross reference and not simply accept my word!

jamie i will try to get a better detailed photo posted by the morning..im on my way out to work right now..thanks for your help and comments

Jamie, I know it's a lot of guess work, but you actually back up your guesses unlike a lot of people (including me.) I think you have probably the best "guesses" I've seen lately. :)

Well, it has really developed. I beleive you have an interesting morph of A. granulosa. At first it looked to be from the echinata group, but with the pocket shape radials and relatively long axials, plus the flat branching habit, it must be A. granulosa or A. loripes. There are examples that are hard to order to one species or the other, which may mean they are simply members of a gradient. A. lokani belongs to this group, but has much longer axials and far fewer radials. I personaly find this an interesting group of corals. They combine form and grace in a most particular way, plus they are generally delicately coloured.

Back