If a clam gapes...

Bagabaga

My clam started moving around and I moved it up into some rocks and now it's gaping. Can it go back to normal after being stressed or could this indicate its end? I got it a couple months ago and there hasn't been any she'll growth. Nitrates read 0, phosphates read just above 0, kh is 8, calcium is above 500 according to my kit. Ph is 8.2 temp is 78.9

I did start running carbon a couple days ago for the first time and put in 2 tablespoons to 50gallons.

I moved him today because he was retracting and moving around and I found some pest anemones on his shell that I zapped and brushed off. One was near his in siphon and I tried to be careful not to get any kalk paste into him.

His mantle is not extending fully he's gaping on in siphon and out siphon.

I can't seem to upload my other picture but I had to turn off my blue lights to get this one. He extends more that this but this shows the gape and the weird white interior (which I thought was normal cuz he's had it most of the time I've had him) I'll get another photo in the blues.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1
Well it's not gaping as bad today. Extends more and looks a little better. I hope I get a turn around. I know a lot about these creatures but seem to be having difficulty practicing what I know.

Ive never gotten an answer on any of my other posts about it. He's had it a while. Also expelled a lot of zooxanthellae before as well. Never got an answer to if that was ok.

It's extending fully again and it's gape is gone.

It used to love laying on its side and I thought maybe since that area of mantle didn't get light it wasn't colored.

I took the carbon out as well.

And I'm constantly getting upload failed on pictures.

I just wish someone had the answers to give me.

I honestly don't think there are definitive answers on lots of clams issues. I didn't see the other posts though. Most things that are not "normal" like sitting on the side and obviously bleaching or not good, but will the clam recover or be just fine on its side? I don't think anyone can say with 100% confidence. Clams seem to die in perfect conditions after a couple of years with no indication and others live in what would seem like terrible conditions. I think most clam answers are based on what generally seems to work for most people. I know that sounds a bit like a cop out, but these are complex that are hard diagnose with issues and treatments, so it's good you followed up for information sake!

Thank you. Seems fine again today I think this new position is causing the color to come back in between the mantle extensions. SUPER reactive to any shadows. I'll see if a pic uploads today.

Also been reading my calcium chart wrong for a couple months. It's 460ppm calcium.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1
still doing well, I hope he attaches and likes where he's at. He wasn't ripped from and old position either. He was just attached to a price of rubble that he was loosening his grip on when I moved him. I hope his byssal threads attaché to this rock and he likes it.

No gape full extension and boosted my lights up higher and removed the carbon for the time being.

Still running no carbon. Hasn't moved. Still extending fully. Have to zap some more aiptasia anemones. May have pm but could be me being paranoid after vacation time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 0
Still running no carbon. Hasn't moved. Still extending fully. Have to zap some more aiptasia anemones. May have pm but could be me being paranoid after vacation time.

Whenever I zap aptasia, I try to do it with the lights off. While I am sure there are no ill affects with using Aiptasia X, I don't want my clam ingesting the residue. At the least...if the lights are on. I wiill encourage the clam the close before I zap away.

Aiptasia X is to be fed. I like that product, works great when you get them to eat it, but if they are sideways or upside down it's hard to get them to consume it.

Back