If only one fish?

I was on a similar hunt, and have chosen my fish, but have yet to find one to buy. I was repeatedly told that a yellow clown goby is perfect for tanks in the 10-gallon range. Reef-safe, hearty, colorful, full of personality, and gets along with everyone. My tank has been fishless for a loooong time waiting for one of those.

For the love of god do not get a yellow clown goby -- I am 3/3 with them nipping SPS coral.

Whoever says they are coral safe is smoking crack.

You can't go wrong with a standard clownfish if you are looking for a single fish. Get a cool designer one. Could also do any type of dartfish (firefish).

That said, if I were to do a single fish tank I would probably go with something unique like a wartskin angler =). Then with one of those in your tank you can get all the yellow clown gobies you want..

Last edited:
For the love of god do not get a yellow clown goby -- I am 3/3 with them nipping SPS coral.

Whoever says they are coral safe is smoking crack.

You can't go wrong with a standard clownfish if you are looking for a single fish. Get a cool designer one. Could also do any type of dartfish (firefish).

That said, if I were to do a single fish tank I would probably go with something unique like a wartskin angler =). Then with one of those in your tank you can get all the yellow clown gobies you want..

I've had my yellow clown goby in my SPS tank for about 1.5 years, no sign of him nipping yet! Sorry you had a poor experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is their natural behavior; my understanding is they naturally nest/lay eggs in acros.

The impact is fairly minimal if you have a large tank but if you only have a few frags you will see PE vanish with a goby around -- at least that was my experience and I have tried them 3 separate times now. I don't learn lessons apparently.

I would get a goby/pistol shrimp pair of your choosing. So much fun to watch, but not much in the water column. My favorite is the Black Ray Goby, but lots to choose from.

If you want more of a swimmer I would go with a Firefish or Clown.

I also like the goby/shrimp idea. I love my YWG and tiger pistol. My YWG comes out enough that it doesn't feel like I'm keeping a ghost, but is also elusive enough to add constant intrigue.

Love my orchid dottyback, which never seems to venture near the top at all, if you're worried about jumpers. Love the bright purple and black face mask. It skulks around the rockwork like a bandit, but will also come out into the open on occasion.

Thanks for the replies.

As far as clown goby's I have not had a good experiences with them not nipping my SPS.

I like the idea of the goby/shrimp idea for something different or the dottyback too.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Harbour

If you are only keeping one fish, take a look at one of the brighter damsels (no issues if it is the only fish) or dottybacks (especially an orchid or male elongate for example) - no aggression issues with other fish to worry about, easy to feed, beautiful to look at, won't harm coral, etc.

A clownfish or two (smaller species only) would also work of course, as would a royal gramma or yellow assessor...

I have a solitary royal gramma in my biocube 14 filled with live rock and corals. He seems happy enough to make the rockwork his home and his bright purple and yellow color stands out nicely.

Back