If you had to start over…

T Diddy

Happy to be here
Anyone who has kept reef aquarium(s) for any length of time has been through several avoidable problems. Inhabitants and compatibility issues are probably pretty high on the list of things we all could have spent more time researching.

If you had to start over, which fish/corals would make the “must have” list, and which ones would you say, “never again”?

Hmm can’t say I have a true never again fish, however for my current tank, it’d have to be a melanurus wrasse. The one I had just destroyed any clean up crew I had, but was great at keeping red planaria in check.

A must have, Onyx Clowns. Honestly, I just love the coloration.

A never again coral, I’d have to go with Kenya Tree. I previously never had issues with dropping branches. The currently one won’t stop dropping branches and spreading.

A must have, while I don’t have any currently, must haves for me are the classic SPS.

I've never been a huge fish person. I'm more into inverts and corals.

That said, the fish I want, if I ever get around to my upgrade, are:
Pink Skunk Clowns (I've always liked them and they were the first clowns I had back in 1990ish).
Melanurus Wrasse (as Shane said to control FWs)
Any type of Dottyback (I currently have and Orchid)

I can't say I have any never again fish but anything that gets large and is predatory would be on that list like Groupers, Lionfish, etc.

Must have corals for me are:
Acropora
R. Florida
Seriatopora

Never again corals for me are:
Anthelia
Xenia
Green Star Polyps

I love green stars and Xenia. I just got some green stars in a free grab bag with the fish I ordered.

I would not do everything exactly the same such as get a Hydros controller first instead of all the ATOs that failed.
No domino damsel fish or dottybacks
Skip the Sicce pumps the pipe dope dissolved.
Skip the Vortechs? Not sure on that one.
Skip the Tunze. Sadly disappointed there. I have a few still running. About as reliable a Jebao but cost 4x as much.

I really loved the lions. They were like puppies. The 3 dwarf lions and 2 snowflake eels made a really nice 75 gallon tank.
Maybe a larger tank with small fish like Paul's.
The large angels were a mistake but they are awfully pretty.
The 240 would be a bigger tank If I did it over.
Shape: Rectangle
Style: Full
Frame: Traditional
Dimensions: 30" x 96" x 36" (HxLxD)
Base Price: $4,193.00

Approx Dry Weight: 622 lbs
Approx Full Weight: 4,370 lbs
Approx Total Gallons: 450

Hole Drilling: 6 = $150.00

Lids: No

Stand Height: 24" Steel = $2,382.00
Stand Powder Coated: Yes = $357.00
Aquarium Casters: No

Configuration Code: A-234484

Current Price: $7,082.00​

You made me look. Sigh.

Small, manageable: I had a 40 gallon breeder for a while and it was the best tank I ever had. I'd do that over with a big rose bubble tip anemone, a pair of maroon clowns, couple of tridacnids, some macro algae, a bunch of inverts, and just take care of it. I'd still do MH lights, just a pair of 175's trending toward blue, a 20-gallon sump, and now I'm exhausted thinking of all the work it would take.

If I were to start a new tank again from scratch I would start with some kind of live rock from the ocean. It's the one thing I wish I did originally.

Then just watch it for the first 6 months to a year to see what all came with it and grows.

I would also set it up as a mantis specific tank and hope a mantis came with the rock. Otherwise, add one.

I can't say I've had anything I'd never do again. I've changed things up over the years but I'd do it all again as I enjoyed it all.

If I were to start a new tank again from scratch I would start with some kind of live rock from the ocean. It's the one thing I wish I did originally.

Then just watch it for the first 6 months to a year to see what all came with it and grows.

I would also set it up as a mantis specific tank and hope a mantis came with the rock. Otherwise, add one.

I can't say I've had anything I'd never do again. I've changed things up over the years but I'd do it all again as I enjoyed it all.
You kind of read my mind. I’ve got a friend who is going down to the keys for a vacation soon. He’s going to try to bring me some real live rock from KP aquatics (they’re in key Largo). Now I’m rushing to get my aquarium running again before he gets back.

Hey Ditty. I'm starting a nano, (30 gallom), now. Going old school. One thing it won't have is BTA's.
As much as I love anemones, I’ll never have another one. For a number of reasons, anemone tanks turn out to be time bombs .

You kind of read my mind. I’ve got a friend who is going down to the keys for a vacation soon. He’s going to try to bring me some real live rock from KP aquatics (they’re in key Largo). Now I’m rushing to get my aquarium running again before he gets back.
You will not regret the KP rock. It very much reminds me of the live rock we got “back in the day” from Fiji, Tonga, Marshall Islands.

You will not regret the KP rock. It very much reminds me of the live rock we got “back in the day” from Fiji, Tonga, Marshall Islands.
Hopefully, his wife won’t have a problem with a cooler full of rocks and water in the car. ;). I remember that Tonga rock…great stuff, but there was still a ton of die off during transit. If all goes well, the KP transition will be relatively seamless with minimal casualties.

Back