I'm back!

Fmellish

Some of you may remember me from 2005-2010, I got heavy into reef keeping, building my own tank, sump, and furniture. I invested about 13K in it all, and then became a slave to my tank spending hours a day on it. I got sick of it and exited the hobby. I parted all my equipment and fragged my coral and made about 7K back, so not a huge loss.

I vowed never to get back into it unless the industry came up with solutions for many of the really annoying problems with reef keeping.

Addicts are addicts for life, and the bug has bit me again. But I'm not going to get back into it unless the following problems have been solved. So, since 2005, (about 10 years ago), has home aquarium technology improved enough to solve the following problems?

1. Lighting: To get good coral growth AND the shimming light on the sand metal hallide lights were required. 1,000 watts over my tank, and it was the root cause of about 20 other issues, including heat, evap, skin damage, safety, electricity consumption. SO, someone please tell me there are new technologies for this. All I need is good clear light that promotes coral growth and puts a shimmer on the sand. It can't produce the amounts of heat or use the amounts of electricity that metal halides did.
  2. Skimming: I had one of the best most expensive skimmers in the industry, and yet, it was so inconsistent as to it's performance, sometimes skimming thick tar, sometimes just yellow water. it also required it's own dedicated pump, which then just added more heat to the water. It was part of the overall problem, not the solution.

So hit me with it, it's been 10 years, please tell the hobby has innovated in that time and we're still not using those old wasteful technologies.

If those two issues, (which were the main thorns in my side), have been addressed by innovations, I'll totally jump back into this hobby.

Cheers
Josh

1. obviously LEDs are what your looking for, and really didnt even need to post this question to find that out...

2. they now have skimmers that can be plumbed into your drain lines from the main tank to feed the skimmer, they are external skimmers...(however, you will still need a dedicated pump to run a skimmer, cant be avoided)

so you have lighting that will do for ya, but as far as a skimmer goes. cant avoid running a dedicated pump for the skimmer...

Back