I'm trying to make a comeback!

SDA619

Ive been out the game for almost 10 years after being really serious into the reef game. I had homies importing corals directly back then. Shoot I remember when acans were going for 2k a polyp. PPEs were $100 a polyp.

Anyhow, I just moved from Cali to Houston and now have the room to put a nice big tank.

I guess my question to yall is from a power perspective how much has the technology changed? I was still running 250w metal halides back then. Its alot hotter in houston and i dont run my ac lower then 75. Im worried about an insane electric bill.

back in the day i ran a 240 gallon full reef, 3 250w MH with t5 actinic, a big ass skimmer, calcium reactor with a gas tank, and a refugium with macro algae. Never had to deal with a chiller.

I figured it couldnt have changed that much maybe things much cheaper these days? Im assuming people running LEDs?

Gonna try to score a full setup from someone who wants to hang up the gloves. Are the best tanks still starfire glass?

I feel like Marty McFly in back to the future.

Just looked it up my last post was 2013 selling a GSM skimmer. So maybe more like 10 years.

Last edited:
Oh, you are in for a treat! Yep, lots has changed...but mostly in a good way. I still have my MH fixtures, but they're under the bed. LED and T5's over the main tank and just LED over the other tank. I'd say the biggest advancement may be controllers; they help (me) quite a bit. I have a Neptune Apex and accessories and they make life much easier for me. Kasa strips also help quite a lot, IMO. Low iron glass is the norm these days; no need for a special order. I'm in NC and have always run a chiller. They certainly help with the electric bill in the respect that you don't have to use your HVAC to control tank temp. Looking forward to seeing your build!

Welcome back! Definitely lots of tech changes.

Metal halide is still a thing though much less “variety”. ReefBrite fixtures generally run pretty cool so that may be an option if you’re looking to stick with metal halide. LEDs have come a long way as well. If you go LED, I reccomend looking up par values or better yet, measuring your par so you don’t burn your corals. Many people do hybrids of halide and led and led and t5. Nowadays many of your cheap fixtures work just as well as your expensive ones just less features/controlability.

Temp controllers - in addition to the controllers mentioned by @mtnbike101 are temp controllers. These are great in respect possible heater failure. Basically if the thermostat malfunctions on the heater, the temp probe on the temp controller that the heater is plugged into should catch it and turn off the outlet. Common brands are Ranco and Inkbird.

The biggest thing I reccomend with buying a used system is check the tank seams (for air bubbles and other signs of seam failure) and preferably have it already filled with water when you go to get it to “prove” it holds water.

Hope this helps some! Ask any questions you may have

Nice. The mere fact that I can follow along with what yall said gives me hope. When I left almost all of those things existed in their infancy. Glad to see those technologies matured and hopefully are cheaper :)

I will have to figure out the best way to make/get water here in Houston. In San Diego i was lucky and we scored NSW from Birch aquarium.

Ill keep my eyes peeled for a teardown. I think its probably the most cost effective way in even if I have to replace the tank.

Don’t forget to check you local club forums or Facebook groups.

Back