important AEFW thread

likefish

Howdy folks. Thought i would share this thread in case any of you have happened to miss it.

I recently fought a bout with AEFW. It sucked!!!! i would not wish it on anyone, Not even (insert name here).

I am in contact with quite a few people in the hobby by phone/in person and on the forums via PM. They are popping up everywhere at an alarming rate! They are at the trade shows! They are in local tanks. They are in the stores!!! PLEASE take my word for this!

If you have invested in Acropora/Milliopora and spend time and $$$$ growing them you need to be aware of this menacing problem!!!! ITs not if it happens to you, its when, if you do not watch out!

Here is the thread and a post by the OP describing the purpose:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2346292[/QUOTE]

Well, this thread blew up today lol.

The purpose of this thread at this time is to study the AEFW lifecycle in depth. What is not being studied (YET) in this thread is ways of eradication. There are many other threads out there with different kill methods being experimented with, that for now are better sources of information for those looking to get rid of their AEFW. Lifecycle knowledge such as hatch time, time to sexual maturity, starvation periods of all AEFW sizes with no access to Acropora, are all very necessary pieces of information we need to know more about AEFW. For one, all those pieces of information are needed to know for certain how long quarantine periods must be. So much information out there is anecdotal, combinations of "I heard somewhere...", guesses based on casual observations, and extrapolations based on other kinds of very unrelated flatworm species. I know its boring for most people, but the end knowledge we'll all gain from these experiments will only help reefers in the future.

AEFW are spreading at an extremely alarming rate among reef aquariums, well over half the SPS tanks I've observed have them including well established systems of advanced reef hobbyists who didn't even know they had them, who frequently sell SPS frags to many others, in LFS...I've heard of or seen many more SPS tanks completely devastated by AEFW. we need to fully understand everything we can about these little guys. That's why I've chosen to begin this long-term experiment process, dedicate a lot of my own personal resources and time, someone needs to do it :)

Once more is known about AEFW in general, I'll begin eradication tests, but for now that is in the future. Despite very few posts lately, these current tests are taking a lot of my time, I simply don't have the time or resources to do every test I want to run at the same time, right now. I'll get there, it just won't be a fast process.

Back