Increase plumbing size at the Manifold?

J Crew

I'm putting together my parts list for my plumbing. It was recommended by someone at BRS to increase the plumbing size at the manifold. Is this common practice?

For example, I'm running the Varios 8 pump, which will be 1-1/4". But it was suggested to bump up to 1-1/2" at the manifold.

Scan 2023-7-24 15.08.27.jpg

Any input and advice around this is much appreciated. Thanks.

Possibly because I have so much pump, so they mentioned that the 1-1/2 was a more common size and I had enough power to handle it. But I don't really see the need, unless some of you guys say it's a normal practice.

I think it matters more in a manifold you want to distribute equal flows to. I didn't do it. I did put my bio pellet reactor at the end away from the pump as the highest flow connection. I didn't attach valves to the manifold. I placed them in the lines to what it supplies. I have a ball valve at the top of the bio pellet reactor and can turn it off when I want to open the lid. Lines with PTC tubing have small PTC valves like the one going to the sulfur reactors. Most of my valves are simply for on/off. The flow is controlled by the size of the line feeding something. I don't want to end up throttling the pump down.

Anyone heard from J Crew? He hasn’t logged on since August. Was looking forward to following this build.

Back