Indmas down

btuck

I'm posting this here because Indmas is down and I don't want to lose this post

Ok I'm moving this topic over here. Once again it's hard for me to refute your argument that these species of Caulerpa do indeed contain toxins. But I believe many people including myself do use caulerpa in their fuges with no problem whatsoever. It seems to me more people than not have used it and not had problems with it.
Would it be non toxic to a tank if it were removed from the fuge placed in a small container of tank water pruned there then replaced in the tank after discarding the container water?

I was writing a research paper last night and came across an interesting article. I can't link it because I found it on the ivytech library and I don't think everybody will be able to access it. So i'll post it next.

i have no idea what the ongoing discussion is, but i figure i'll chime in anyway!

calurpa scares me. i have very little clue what i'm doing so far, and on the advice of a vendor i threw some grape caulerpa into a newish fuge last weekend...within two days i had a nice little ball of white/transparent grapes that mostly got yoinked out and pitched (here's to another 10 dollars wasted. cheeers!) - the cluster of aptasia that came along with it was a nice bonus, but i guess that's a whole 'nother story.

reason i'm cutting in here is two fold

a) anything that could have caused this that is glaringly obvious and can be avoided in the future? you sound like ya know what you're doing so..heh...i'll ask.
(55g display, 15 gallon fuge section in the sump, 6 month old tank setup - ammonia 10, trates 10, trites 0, ph 8.3, caulerpa recieved 24x7 lighting from 3500k CF bulb and an old regular flor bulb)

and the second advantage of asking this here, since it's likely to potententially get more local interest...

b) is there anybody i can grovel some chaeto off of so i don't even have to worry about the whole 'going sexual' stuff?

well that's better but you still want your ammonia to be 0. Aiptasia in a fuge isn't always a bad thing either. I'm not sure who has chaeto, give it some time and i'm sure you will find somebody...if not you can come to the april frag swap...i'm sure somebody will have it then.

very cool, thank ya scott...i'll be there

even after all of the money i've blown on this hobby, i can't bring myself to pay shipping on green muck, and just order some from ebay.

i'll never claim to make sense in general, tho ;^)

Back