Internal GFOs?

You could use something like phosphate rx to control phosphates.

https://clearchoiceaquatics.com/collections/blue-life-additives/products/phosphate-rx-1oz

Do you have room for an external reactor?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Didn't think of that. I do have room to put an external reactor outside the tank but am concerned about a failure resulting in water leaking. I linked an internal one I was looking at in the original post.

Would simply adding the phosphate - rx be significantly cheaper than running a GFO? Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

Thank you!

"internal vs external" means nothing as far as performance of a media reactor..
That Phosban 150 itself is capable of being run internally or externally.. Pump needs to be in the tank/sump obviously..

Whats important is the amount of media it can hold and the rate of flow through the media..
That reactor is most certainly capable of stripping phosphates in a tank of your size..

In fact I caution you to ONLY use a GFO reactor when you have an actual phosphate problem and not run one all the time..
Phosphate is actually a beneficial nutrient required by all marine life and stripping it from the water can cause more harm than having it..

Didn't think of that. I do have room to put an external reactor outside the tank but am concerned about a failure resulting in water leaking. I linked an internal one I was looking at in the original post.

Would simply adding the phosphate - rx be significantly cheaper than running a GFO? Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

Thank you!
I missed your link, the TLF is a good reactor, just keep the oring clean, or hang it on the inside of the tank. It's not huge.

The phosphate rx works on contact so you need to be really careful not to reduce phosphates to quickly.

Do you have a phosphate issue currently?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

!

Phosphate rx/Lanthanum Chloride can be used to bind phosphate in the water.. But its precip must be removed via mechanical methods (filter sock,etc...)/skimming.
Long term exposure to LC is also unknown and if you don't remove it you just end up with a bunch puddled in the bottom of your sump..
It should really be added to the tank upstream of a mechanical filter..

It can certainly be cheaper than GFO.. but again.. This sounds like a new tank.. Both products should ONLY be used when there is a real phosphate problem and not overused..

Phosphate is actually a beneficial nutrient required by all marine life and stripping it from the water can cause more harm than having it..

Thank you! I was planning on running it light to keep them low but not stripped - but I'll hold off on adding anything until I see that the tank has an issue.

Yeah save your money for now..
IMO there are 2 reasons you need phosphate products..
1-You bought rock that has bound up phosphate from its previous life..
2-You overfeed/overstock your tank..

If #1 run LC or GFO while curing your rock in an external tank to attempt to remove any/all phosphate before introducing the rock into your display..
If #2.. stop overfeeding ;)

Yeah save your money for now..
IMO there are 2 reasons you need phosphate products..
1-You bought rock that has bound up phosphate from its previous life..
2-You overfeed/overstock your tank..

If #1 run LC or GFO while curing your rock in an external tank to attempt to remove any/all phosphate before introducing the rock into your display..
If #2.. stop overfeeding ;)

Thanks for the advice! I'll hold off on worrying about a GFO or similar
https://reefcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

"internal vs external" means nothing as far as performance of a media reactor..
That Phosban 150 itself is capable of being run internally or externally.. Pump needs to be in the tank/sump obviously..

Whats important is the amount of media it can hold and the rate of flow through the media..
That reactor is most certainly capable of stripping phosphates in a tank of your size..

In fact I caution you to ONLY use a GFO reactor when you have an actual phosphate problem and not run one all the time..

^^^This^^^

I have a TLF 150 that I ran as a HOB on my 60 cube back in the day. I have since upgraded to a 120DT/40 sump system, so when needed I put the tlf 150 inside the sump if for no other reason that there is precious little spare room under the stand with all the other junk down there. Either way, it works great.

Back