Iron Supplements

jnad

Hello!

I want to dose some Iron to my reef tank but my lokal aquarium shops do not have Iron supplements products.

Is it possible to use Iron pills (for human use) that you can by at the drug store? Just disolve the pills in RO DI water?

I have a box of pills and the label of content is:

"¢The active substance is: iron(II)sulfat 300 mg equivalent 100 mg Fe++.

"¢ excipients is: laktose, fumarsyre, glycerolester, magnesiumstearat (E 572), ironoksid (E 172), hydroksypropylmetylcellulose (E 464), metylcellulose (E 461), makrogol 6000, titandioksid (E 171), fast parafin.

jnad

I thought that using a chelated iron product was more practical, maybe something like Fergon iron supplements, dissolved.

I think chelated iron will have a better half life in the tank as iron is pretty insoluble in seawater. This product might be useful, but I'd guess it to not be as useful as Fergon tablets (which I use). :)

When I use Fergon, I dissolve a table in maybe 20 mL of DI water, let the non-iron solids settle out, and use the greenish clear liquid. :)

Hello!

I actually dont going to use Iron for my corals or tank inmates, but to get the algae on my algae scrubber going green. I am using an scrubber and only have yellow growth.

jnad

I think chelated iron is better for algae, too. The problem with the iron sulfate is that it's unlikely to dissolve well or stick around for any length of time.

Hello!

Thanks for helping me out with this by posting your answers.

I have found another Iron product in my drug store that is chelatert, may be this product is better to use.

Here is the label of contents:

Gevita IRON is a low-dose iron supplements that are kind to the stomach. Gevita IRON contains no animal substances, and is recommended for vegetarians and anyone who eats iron diet.

Gevita Iron contains ferrobisglycinat Ferrobisglycinat or aminoacidchelatert iron is a newer formulation of iron which is intended to improve uptake and reduce the side effects of iron. It is a complex consisting of 2 glycinmolekyler is chelated around the divalent iron (Fe 2 +).

Gevita iron Ingredients: mineral (ferrobisglycinat (ironchelat)),

Tablet excipients :(microcrystalline cellulose, hydroksypropylmetylcellulose, magnesium stearate, talc, polydekstrose. Maltodextrin, triglycerides of medium chain length), color (titanium dioxide, iron oxide, Tartrazine).

What do you think, is this better to use?

jnad

Back