Is 100% clear silicon safe to use

Not sure....but I would not use it unless it says its aquarium safe........they sell aquarium safe silicon at home depot and a bunch of other places

It is fine as long as there is midew resistant in it. Its exactly the same stuff used on Aquariums, Ge 1 is good or GE 2 without mildew resistance. They sell it in different tubes to charge us reefers more money is all. GE is fine.

I have used it but here is what they actually say .
There was a thread going around the other day
If you wish to read it you can find it at http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=751264
Here is GE info
GE Silicones does not manufacture silicone sealants
for use in underwater
applications. Examples of underwater applications
are: swimming pools, saunas, hot tubs, spas, Jacuzzis, boats or any other marine vehicles. The only exceptions are the following sealants, which may be used for sealing small
(i.e., 5 gallons or less) aquariums:
GE012 -- 10.3 fl. oz. cartridge -- Clear
Silicone Rubber Sealant.ââ"šÂ¬Ã‹Å“
GE361 -- 2.8 fl. oz. squeeze tube -- Clear
Household Glue & Seal
Application must be as follows:
Glass to glass use only
Sealant must cure for a minimum of five days
before exposure to water
The products listed above should be used as
sealants only, not as structural adhesives.
NOTE: Use of other grades of silicone in an aquarium
or failure to let the sealant cure for the proper amount of time could
cause harm to fish or other life forms in the aquarium.
Hope it helps

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6532953#post6532953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chckrbrd Wrasse
I have used it but here is what they actually say .
There was a thread going around the other day
If you wish to read it you can find it at http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=751264
Here is GE info
GE Silicones does not manufacture silicone sealants
for use in underwater
applications. Examples of underwater applications
are: swimming pools, saunas, hot tubs, spas, Jacuzzis, boats or any other marine vehicles. The only exceptions are the following sealants, which may be used for sealing small
(i.e., 5 gallons or less) aquariums:
GE012 -- 10.3 fl. oz. cartridge -- Clear
Silicone Rubber Sealant.ââ"šÂ¬Ã‹Å“
GE361 -- 2.8 fl. oz. squeeze tube -- Clear
Household Glue & Seal
Application must be as follows:
Glass to glass use only
Sealant must cure for a minimum of five days
before exposure to water
The products listed above should be used as
sealants only, not as structural adhesives.
NOTE: Use of other grades of silicone in an aquarium
or failure to let the sealant cure for the proper amount of time could
cause harm to fish or other life forms in the aquarium.
Hope it helps

Thats just a disclaimer. I called GE and they told me that they sell to Aquarium Manufactors all the time. Its 100% silicone. I use it all the time. One of MY Plywood tanks is over 12 years old and used 100 % silicone on it, still going good. I pay no mind to what they say. It is thier way of protecting themselves against stupidity.

With the exception of time frame I would pay attention to it. As it will harm Inhabitants if used to soon. As I said I have used it and with success but still fair to mention any or all info. Thatââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s what forums are for right.?

If you do some searching, you'll find GE Silicone I or II Window and Door is the most commonly successful one. Stay away from anything having to do with tile (kitchen and bath, etc) as it typically has anti-mold/mildew components.

GE 100% silicone DOORS AND WINDOWS is GOOD, KITCHEN & BATH is supposed to be BAD. I have white #1 and clear #2 and they are fine, not sure about how well they stick for making aquariums, but both are safe

Back