Is a Calcium Reactor Necassary??? For my setup..

jeemann99

My setup:

Hardware
- 110 Tall
- (2) Seio 600 something and (2) 900 maxi jet pumps
- 200 Wet Dry (NO BIO BALLS)
- Inside wet dry
- ASM G3 Protein skimmer
- Mag Drive 1800 attached to (2) ball valve to control flow
- 36W Jebo UV Sterilizer (will be replacing soon)
- Ocean Clear 325 w/Iwaki pump
- Magnum H.O.T 250 hang on canister
- Marineland Penguin 400 hang on double bio wheels
- Magnum 350 deluxe pro
- 48" PC's (will be switching to MH setup this weekend (2) Retro fit 250W 14K)

Stock
- 180 - 200 pds. live rock (fiji/tonga)
- LPS/Soft Corals
- Mushrooms
- Xenia
- Candycanes
- Galaxia
- Torch
- Frogspawn
- Hammer
- Zoos
- Ricodia
- Star Polyps

Fish
- Clowns
- Angels (bi-color / potters)
- Tangs (yellow / sailfin) (getting rid of to big)
- Gobies (convict)
- Lawnmower Blenny
- Pinktail trigger (getting rid of too big)
- Emarld crabs
- Red Shrimp
- Cleaner Shrimp
- Arrow Crab

I am currently using B-Ionic 2 part liquids and Kent Phyto-Liquid. Is a Calcium Reactor necassary will it help my corals grow and become healthier? I am new to Saltwater and have only been doing it for about 7-8mos. so I am unsure about some things. Please any help would be great. I would like to go refrugium soon about 1 mos.

Thanks in advance
Jeemann99

I don't even have my first tank setup yet, so you can take my comments with a grain of salt :) but I don't think a calcium reactor is necessary for ANYONE. I think it is more of a convenience item than anything else. Corals and clams will suck up a lot of calcium, so rather than dosing the water every day, you save yourself some time by installing the calcium reactor. Plus if you just like playing with gadgets to begin with, it isn't hard to convince yourself that it is something you want. I plan to set my 55 gallon up with a few clams and a bunch of corals...I'll probably eventually get a calcium reactor just because I like the gadgets...plus I am sure I'll get sick of constantly dosing the tank. If you have the cash for it....go for it.

Calcium is only necessary for corals that have a SKELETON. i.e. the skeleton you see when your LPS shribble up. That's how they grow.

Calcium is absorbed by these corals on a daily basis. Try testing your CA level today, then DONT dose. Test again in exactly 24 hours. The 2nd test should be lower, so just subtract it from the first to figure out what your tank's daily calcium depletion is.

So depending on how many calcium-hungry corals you have, the level will go down by a lot or a little each day. You want to maintain a high enough calcium level to satisfy this daily usage. Generally a level of 400-420 is a good start.

A calcium reactor is also one of those things where you'll save money in the long run. Dosing additives are pretty expensive, so it adds up. Even if you do the DIY Recipes to save money, I feel it's a hassle to buy all those ingredients and mix them up, then having to remember to dose everyday. With a reactor, you literally set it and forget it (rotiserie chicken anyone??).

I for one couldnt be happier since I got my Calcium Reactor a few weeks ago. But then again, I recently dove head first into the wonderful world of acroporas, so I wanted to keep them happy.

I wouldn't say a calcium reactor is NECESSARY, but some method of calcium/alkalinity supplementation IS. A calclum reactor just happens to be one method of delivering that. Compared to other methods, the initial investment is large, so it may only make sense for bigger or high-demand tanks. But once you get past the initial cost, it's a pretty hands-off method of maintaining calcium/alkaliniity, and can handle large and high-demand systems with ease.

There is a great article from advanced aquarist that gives a comparison of the different methods, their pros/cons, limitations, and costs.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

I have LPS's and SPS's, all show very nice growth rates and I don't dose calcium often at all. I'd estimate maybe 1-2 times a month at the most.

I think once your tank gets established and you get your PH, ALK and calcium at the correct levels & balanced, it's much easier to "get a feel" for how often to dose for CA and maintain it.

I'd get one...

I'd get one...

I'm still in the process of planning my first tank (120 gal; mixed, *probably* sps and clam dominated) and I've pretty much decided to get one. Although I know I lack alot of practical experience in the hobby, my research in planning this tank points to many valid reasons for getting a Ca reactor.

I know for me, two big factors in the decision were price and convenience. A CO2 tank refill and media seem cheaper (in the long run) in comparison to buying additives on a regular basis (or even mixing your own). Plus, not having to worry about dosing is a big perk. The only drawback is the initial investment... but I think it would pay for itself in the end (with the money you would save on balanced 2-parts). Basically, I agree with piscivorous and
GMGQ.

Just my opinion...

BTW, anyone have recommendations for good Ca reactors? I've been looking at the MRC ones. Also, what's the deal with dual chamber reactors? Are they effective and worth the extra investment? Or do most people just put route the effluent line into the skimmer?

Back