Is it ok to feed torch and frogspawn corals ?

RyanDragon

I just bought a torch coral and a green frogspawn with pink tip yesterday,, and I was wondering that is it ok to feed the corals with raw shrimp every 2 days or so ? any recomandation ?,, tank info,
25 gallons reef
24" 96w T5 HO lighting
30 lbs of live rock
a clarkii clown, 5 damsels
some polyps/zoas colonies, couple of discosomas mushrooms.

oh and I have another question,,, I have had these live stocks and LR for about 2 years now, but I have to transfer them to a new tank 2 weeks ago because the old one spung a leak.. My question is that is it ok if the green algae are growing on the LR ? because I never had algae on my LR before just on my glass... and is this because of the new tank ? or am i doing something wrong here ?

yes. you can also use slivers of sliversides or any other meaty food, chopped up. use a turkey baster to target the mouths. if you've got an aggressive shrimp that steals the food, put something over the coral until the food's been dealt with

and is it normal for LR to have algae on them ? even though i had these LR for 2 years and never had any algae growing on them until now..

certainly not unusual, but often a sign that something has changed. one thing that may be different now is the amount you're feeding the tank - the added nutrients can cause algae blooms. if that's the case you'll need to increase nutrient transport [removal of nutrients from the water column] through more aggressive skimming, bigger clean up crew, growing macro algae, etc. and possibly cutting back a bit on the amount of food you're putting in. has anything else changed, like a lighting upgrade, etc.?

Last edited:
Back