Is there a working DIY controller out yet?

sharemaster

Hi guys,

It seems like this idea has died all the links are dead and no progress seems to be going on anymore. Did it ever get to the point of a working reef controller that I can build and use?

New Project Coming soon

New Project Coming soon

[violation]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doubting there will be too many open source projects that come to life. Basic temperature sensors/controllers or even ph sensor/controller isn't too hard.

However, when you take the time to build a full on functional reef controller (especially if it's not PC based), I think most people will attempt to earn a profit on it.

This is just a random opinion of course. I think the best DIY project reef controller will be a PC based on that uses probes already established in the marine aquariums. It's just a matter of making an interface between them, removing the microcontroller/led based systems are we see for sale right now.

Mine will be completed in the next few months. My problem is i keep adding more gadgets to it!! Let me know if i can help.

VR

Thinking..

Thinking..

This is something Ive been thinking about for a long time.. Im waiting to move house before setting up my reef but Im working on the controller anyway.

Im currently using an Arduino (www.arduino.cc) as its easy to use..

I am a huge fan of open source, so Ill make its own thread when I have some time to spend on the project!

Does anyone know of good sources of sensors?
I can interface basically any brand of sensor, so long as I know it's protocol or specs. :fish1:

Ive only just stumbled across your website, its exactly what Im thinking of doing.

Im going to build boards to interface any sensors that wont go straight into the arduino as necessary, depending on what the sensor is outputting.

Currently I have cheap n nasty thermocouples and a pH meter off ebay that is a chinese knockoff, so Im pretty uncertain if I want to actually use it!
It does work tho.

Thanks for the links, theres very little here in New Zealand that is reasonably priced while still being of worthwhile quality

if someone was planning to do something like this, and use a computer as the base, i would think that this software would be of interest http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/ it's home automation software but you can add functionality to it by writing modules for it .. in pearl and the web front end can also be customized all you then would need would be something to plug your probes into :p

I am in the process of building one based on a PIC24F. So far I have LEDs and Temp. I am about to order some boards to build my pH and salinity meters. I will then just read them the same was as my temp.

At this time I am not planning on interfacing this with my computer.

Hello Vancouver Reefr,
I have looked at your website on the controller build and I really like the fail safes you have in the system. I have a couple questions I assume you are tired of hearing by now.
- Is the system functioning well for you?
- Are you willing to share detailed information on system cost, software programing & hardware including PCB board so I could copy what you have done?
Thanks for your time.

VBJerry

Back