Is there any way to get my money back on unused equipment?

djryan2000

Long story short: I have a 20 gal and was setting up a 40 gal. Super hyped. Slowly buying all the equipment - reef breeder lights, a big Reef Octo skimmer, mined dry rock ect... and Now I'm questioning if I want to set up the 40 gallon. I had some impression I couldn't have a reef in my 20 and now I'm setting that up and see how the 40 reef has been a huge money pit for me. Only problem is, a lot of the equipment was bought of amazon and I'm passed the return date.

Considering the heavy loss I'd take I'm considering going through with the tank but would like to know if there's anything I can do to get rid of the equipment at least closed to the original price I paid. I didn't think I'd like the 20 gallon as much as I currently am.

* note: I did not know I could buy equipment from my LFS - it was in a separate room. Once I found out that's where I started buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, sounds like your costs are already sunk so might as well go through with it. Costs to maintain a 20 vs 40 are not much different minus stocking--because you can fit more stock.

The majority of the cost is the set up--unless you are prone to new gear-itis.

I'd hold onto it if I were you. Won't be long before you've got a few colonies getting too big, or you see some new (to you) species, or something else will come up and you'll think "Boy, I wish I had a bigger tank".

The enthusiasm may have waned for a bit, but if you enjoy fish keeping, you'll soon learn that very few of us have just one tank.

-Hans

My garage holds about 5 smaller tanks. Wonder what I was thinking going small.
Craigslist of Faceplant if you want to sell

Unfortunately, you probably won't get anywhere near what you paid. My advice is to just go through with it. A 40 breeder is a significant upgrade over just a 20 gal.

You won't get close to retail. Operating costs between 20 & 40 will be nearly identical. Just set it up. The buyers remorse will pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back