Is there such a thing as a safe display macro for a reef?

Caragol

Caragol
I'm getting tired of searching...

Is there such a thing as a safe and attractive macro algae for a mixed reef display that's great at using up excess nutrients?

Chaeto chews up the nutrients, but looks terrible as it's free floating.

Caulerpa taxifolia is one of my favorites as it's also great at chewing nutrients and I think it's beautiful, but I fear it going sexual.

I used to keep calurpa taxifolia in the fuge and somehow some made it to the display but it was always easy to pull the pieces off rocks. Is that common, or was that an exception? I kept mine well trimmed, and never had it go sexual, is that a real fear with this macro? If I introduced it to the display am I just asking for trouble?

The real question is in the title, is there a non-sexual, nutrient loving, attractive macro algae that's easy to remove and keep under control? Or does it just not exist and I need to stuff some chaeto in a HOB fuge?

I'm nowhere near an ocean, so no fears of excess calurpa making it anywhere but a trash can.

The only algae I can think of that might give you success is flame algae. A very attractive algae, can't take over, and seems to grow at a fairly fast pace. Definitely not tthe fastest grower but it is most definitely a beautiful piece whether its used for nutrient export or not

The non sexual caveat is going to make it tough as many macros have one. Also you may want to consider the number and types of herbivores in your reef. I had to get rid of my tang when I went green ;-)

You may want to try some Halamedia or some sort of Gracillaria however you are asking alot from one organism.

There's a lot of ones you could use, however any herbivores in your tank will severely limit your choices. Especially any tangs. A number of urchins and snails will also cause problems. Other than caulerpa you really don't need to be too concerned about going sexual, a number of macros do but rarely cause any problems at all when they do. What's your fish/invert list?

Two small locally bred percs, handful of snails, a few blue leg hermits. 29g AGA no sump and no fuge. Want good nutrient export to keep tank in good shape but will do in tank fuge or hob if necessary.

OK, that's good. I would look into halymenia, red titan, botryocladia (the branching kind), and red gracilaria (lot of different growth structures in gracilaria). Caulerpa prolifera is one of the least invasive caulerpas, and doesn't seem to go sexual as much as the others. If you do go with it, as the caulerpa spreads, just cut the runner into sections. That way if one part does go sexual its only a small part and not the whole macro.

Some pics from my tank:

Botryocladia (red grape algae):
116.jpg

Halymenia (dragon's tongue/dragon's breath)
IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg

Red titan:
IMG_9148.jpg

Red gracilaria:
P1160110.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_9605.jpg

IMG_9639.jpg

Caulerpa prolifera:
IMG_3889.jpg

Back