Is this an astrina starfish? Size of a quarter!

setsail4mexico

I know I have a lot of astrina starfish in my tank... My kids liked them and they didn't seem to bother anything (other than did not have as much coralline algae as I should or would like) and my LPS and sofies corals are thriving. However, lately they seem to be proliferating out of control or maybe I'm just paying more attention. I seen one on the corner overflow that is in the center of my coralline algae patch and is HUGE! About the size of a quarter. See pic below. Is it an astrina starfish? Never seen one even half that size before!
f3498c845cdba341ebe8c32fa2ae5cca.jpg

I have a few that big and I like them. For some reason I don't have a bunch of them that I can see any way. I wonder if my coral banded shrimp are eating the babies?

Look at your tank hours after the lights are off, you will be surprised how many there can be. In my 220, I had literally thousands of them. 3 Harlequin shrimps have been feasting on them for a few months and knocked the population way down.

I've never had a harlequin shrimp. Any negatives to it? Will it bother my cleaner shrimp or any corals or clam?

First, I wouldn't worry about Asterinas until you feel you have a true overpopulation.

Harlequin shrimp ONLY eat starfish - Asterinas, chocolate chip stars, etc. - so after they eat them all you need to sell them back to your LFS or start buying them a starfish to eat on a regular basis.

Thanks everyone! Think I'll try the control method first! I picked out about 60 of them today. Sure more will be out tomorrow and after a few days of this the numbers should dwindle!

Back