Is this an elephant ear mushroom?

jmwilder

I purchased this specimen at the LFS today where it was being sold as an elephant ear mushroom. As I look through Borneman's Aquarium Corals though, I'm having a hard time matching it to any of the photos. (The image doesn't quite do it justice. The green is a little greener and really fluoresces under the actinic. The lighter portions of the mushroom have an almost pinkish hue.) Could someone help ID this for me?

Also, I worry that the edges of the mushroom being clasped up against the rock on which it is mounted may be an indication that there is too much current. Is that correct or is it too early to tell given that it has only been in the tank for a few hours? Thanks. -Jeff

mushroom.jpg

Tagging along on this as well. Recently was given 2 that look very similar to these as well. Same bumpy texture, more pinkish lavender hue mixed in them. But like your mine aren't smooth or have hairy tentacles. Interested on ID as well

I have mushrooms that just ball up on occasion. Since they have only been in place a few hours I would not be the least bit worried. I don't think its a ric, though.

give it a couple of days to get used to your tank, and start exhibiting normal behavior. If you think it is in too high of a flow area, then move it. Im not sure what kinda shroom it is, but if it is indeed an elephant ear mushroom, whatch it, cuse they've been KNOWN to eat fishes!

Thanks for all the help. Here is slightly better photo if it helps to ID this. It is just under two inches in diameter. I think some of my confusion stems from both Amplexidiscus fenestrafer and Rhodactis mussoides going by the common name elephant ear mushroom. I'm trying to figure out whether I need to be feeding this meaty foods. The answer would seem to depend on which elephant ear I have, if that is indeed what it is.

mushroom2.jpg

Back