Issues with baking baking soda for Alk.

TURKLET0N

Before I baked the BS it would dissolved after I stirred it in water after a few second. I baked some BS for a little over an hour at 400 degrees and now it will not dissolve in the water. It just all settled to the bottom. Has anyone ran into this issue or know how I can get it to dissolve in the water?

I always found the opposite, that it dissolved more easily if it was baked. I always shake the jug pretty vigorously. Do you mix it while its still hot?

You probably know this already, but you can get ph spikes if you use baked baking soda and also dose kalk.

I used tank water to mix it and did not change the temperature of the water. I waited until the BS cooled down before I mixed it with the water. No matter how long I mix it the BS all settled to the bottom. I'll try to heat up some RODI water and mix it together.

This is after stirring it for one minute. It stays separate and cloudy then all settles to the bottom after about a minute.

Attachments

• IMG_4192.jpg
    IMG_4192.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 0
I've never personally baked baking soda. I purchase soda ash in bulk and I have never had a problem with it mixing/dissolving.

You should
Either dose the baked NaHCO3 directly to your tank at a position with strong flow.
OR
Dissolve it in RO water. Then dose the solution.

If you dissolve in just a little of tank water you might get into problems wit max saturation

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

You should
Either dose the baked NaHCO3 directly to your tank at a position with strong flow.
OR
Dissolve it in RO water. Then dose the solution.

If you dissolve in just a little of tank water you might get into problems wit max saturation

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I don't want to put it directly into the tank since it wownt even dissolve in regular tank water or RODI water. If I put it directly into the tank it wownt dissolve and will just settle on the bottom.

I always mixed into rodi water, no issues disolving almost instantly. I'd say try that, as mentioned above it may be at max saturation when adding that to water which already has alkalinity fairly high. Are you following Randy Holmes Farley recipe? Weighed out the baked baking soda? It loses weight once baked as well, just a note.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If you are mixing it with tank water, you are most likely reaching saturation, it just can't dissolve anymore. Usually I mix 2 cups of soda ash to a gallon of ro, which creates a concentrate solution you dose to the tank. Can you describe why you are using tank water and how you are dosing?

It's worth knowing that sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) will have a measurable effect on total alkalinity, while only raising the pH of water slightly but Sodium carbonate (soda ash) will actually have more of an effect on both pH and total alkalinity so careful not to dose it in the same manner/volume.

If you are mixing it with tank water, you are most likely reaching saturation, it just can't dissolve anymore. Usually I mix 2 cups of soda ash to a gallon of ro, which creates a concentrate solution you dose to the tank. Can you describe why you are using tank water and how you are dosing?

It's worth knowing that sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) will have a measurable effect on total alkalinity, while only raising the pH of water slightly but Sodium carbonate (soda ash) will actually have more of an effect on both pH and total alkalinity so careful not to dose it in the same manner/volume.

I was trying to mix one tablespoon in two cups of tank water. I'll try to mix it with RODI water today.

I've never heard of using tank water to make two part. Thats probably part of the problem. I'd try baking new baking soda then mixing it with fresh RO right after it comes out of the oven.

I've never heard of using tank water to make two part. Thats probably part of the problem. I'd try baking new baking soda then mixing it with fresh RO right after it comes out of the oven.

Thanks you everyone for the information. I previously always dissolved my regular baking soda in tank water I took out and it always did fine until I started baking it. I mixed the baked BS in RODI water and it dissolved right away.

Back