It's starting to come together

sgtfuzz

This is my first saltwater tank and so far it's been one hell of a journey and learning experience.

I'm setting up a 65 gallon Aqueon glass aquarium. Due to my limited space and poor pre planning on my part I had to cure my dry rock in my display tank. (I know what you maybe thinking right now and yes I kept black out shades over my tank.)

My initial research lead me to believe that I needed 1 pound of rock per gallon. So after buying 65 lbs of pukani rock from BRS and 30lbs of live sand for use later. I came to the realization that I could get away with much less rock. I'm currently down to about 45-50 lbs of rock.

Just this past week I've completed a 4 week cure on the rock. During this time I've tested my water prams and saw the rise and fall of ammonia and nitrite. Learning that pukani is notorious for leaching phosphates I bought a phosphate test kit and kept track of them as well. At the end of each week I did roughly a 50% water change give or tank 1% or 2%. Once I saw my phosphate was testing 0 for a few days I decided to end the rock cure and to start the nitrogen cycle.

Currently at writing this post I'm on day 3 of my cycle. Live sand has been added, my rock work has me pleased with plenty of caves, nooks, and crannies for my future live stock.

My prams as of cycle day 2 according to my test kits:
Water Temp: 76.5
Salinity 1.025
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 5.0
PO: 0

Now I'll talk about the tank equipment, but first to circle back to my limited space issue. This has lead me to rely on HOB equipment as I have no room underneath for a sump and I live with my girlfriend, our newborn son of 6 months, and a very inquisitive 10 year old. My protein skimmer is an Instant Ocean Sea Clone 100, I'm using a canister filter which is only being used as a media reactor for carbon and GFO if I need it. For pump I'm using a single hydor koralia thrid generation 1350 gph which I'd like to get a second one but I think atm with the HOB skimmer and canister filter return I think I have ample flow. Lighting right now is the crappy single bulb light that came with the tank and a new fixture my next purchase for the tank.

If you've made it this far I congratulate you on making it through all of this text and here is a picture of my tank from day 1 of the nitrogen cycle. Please note the tank is lit with the shoddy light that came with it and the water is slightly cloudy from adding the sand.

fb image upload

i like the scape! what light are you going to be running? what are you planning on stocking it with, as far as livestock goes??

Back