JaysLittleOcean Piece of the Reef.

how are you liking your Tunze ATO?
for ATO res. I use tanks from petco 1 per gallon sale. for my 40br ( in the works) i will be using a 29H with a pice of glass cut for the lid.
I honestly love my Tunze ATO. It has been set it and forget it. But not the freshwater. You can't forget that.

I would look at your setup first before running out and buying a chiller. There are alot of variables that can be affecting the temp. (i.e., probe placement, heater placement, light placement, hood or no hood, fans, house temp, etc.)

I am running a similar setup and my tank never runs over 79.

Hit me up anytime, I live close to you. I follow your build on Manhattan Reefs.
Cool. I am drfinitely not running out and getting a chiller. There will be no impulse buying here. I am going to see if opening up the cabinet to see if I need more venting to increase natural evaporation first. If not then I have other ideas.

Here's my build thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2487829

There are some pics of how I vented my hood and cabinet. Are you running MH/T5 or LED? Perhaps you could get some ideas.

I am also running the Tunze Osmolator and have not been upset by it yet.

Great, I will definitely check it out. I actuallyam using LED's so the heat is mostly attributed to the pumps within the water and the ambient temperature of the room from what I can think of. But I'm knocking around a few ideas to see how to best handle it. BRB gotta go steal my sons fan for a few.

I have a 120 gallon and LEDS on it and I have to keep my heaters going just to keep my tank at 76..... and I live in texas lol. I may need reread everything you have but did you double confirm that temp?

Oops... My Mistake.

Oops... My Mistake.

So after running my initial fan evaporation cooling test for about 3 hours last night I saw my temperature struggle to decrease and when it went down to about 82.0 Degrees Fahrenheit I received alerts that it shortly start rising again. I figured I was missing something so I went through both the primary and redundant heater outlet configurations on my Apex Aqua Controller and didn't see anything wrong there. On at 77.0 Degrees Fahrenheit and Off at 78.0 Degrees Fahrenheit. Well I finally figured out what the issue was. The temperature probe on my aquarium did not function properly out of the box. So I configured the outlet to remain on instead of running of the automatic configuration. So the Eheim 300 watt heaters were configured at 82 degrees in order to prevent them from shutting down prematurely when the Apex was in charge of monitoring the temperature and regulating the outlet between on and off. Well guess who forgot to turn the outlets back to automatic after receiving a new temperature probe. So after configuring the outlooks correctly and letting the aquarium sit for the night in the morning I am at 78.2 Degree Fahrenheit and all seems well. Disaster averted!

I Seem to Have a Nice Trend Going.

I Seem to Have a Nice Trend Going.

After discovering what was causing the high temperature in my aquarium the next step is get to a desired temperature and maintain that temperature as best as possible. Currently the Apex Aqua Controller configuration for the outlets that my Eheim 300 watt heaters are plug into are set to monitor the temperature probe and either turn on at 77.00 degree Fahrenheit & turn off at 78.00 degrees Fahrenheit. After letting this run for about 1 day I started to see a nice trend created by the Apex Aqua Controller. It appears that I have a variance of 1.1 to 1.2 degrees. So I made additional adjustment to the outlet setting to decrease the variance to at minimum 0.5 degrees and also hit a average temperature of 77 degrees this morning. So I will let this run for about 1 day and see what the results are.

It is Time!

It is Time!

Well I test my aquarium today and amazingly enough the cycle has completed. I officially added on June 07, 2015 and less than 15 days later I am now officially ready to add fish.

My Aquarium Cycle.

My Aquarium Cycle.

I apologize for not providing updates sooner. I have started a new job and have been very busy. But I wanted to report that my cycle finished completely in just under 2 weeks after adding the Ammonium Chloride and the Frytz Zyme 9. And I have added some of my first inhabitants. One of which I have included below. My 1 inch long Maxima Clam.

Vinyl Tubing from Home Depot Looks Discolored.

Vinyl Tubing from Home Depot Looks Discolored.

So I was hoping someone would be able to give me a little advice because I found this weird. It looks like the inside of the vinyl tubing where the saltwater makes contact is being discolored? Is this normal? You can clearly see areas that have little to no contact with saltwater since they remain clear. I purchased this tubing at The Home Depot. Wondering if I have to rip it all out and order some aquarium specific tubing?

(This is an area of little to no saltwater because of the restricted flow. But you can clearly see the tubing remains clear.)

happens with all my tubing, i also get it from home depot, i've had no issues with it. usually shows mostly on hoses i use off and on, like drain and fill, and thats just some leftover residue, the hoses that constantly have water don't really show that discoloration, just some buildup visible inside it from detritus or algae.

happens with all my tubing, i also get it from home depot, i've had no issues with it. usually shows mostly on hoses i use off and on, like drain and fill, and thats just some leftover residue, the hoses that constantly have water don't really show that discoloration, just some buildup visible inside it from detritus or algae.

That is good to know. I had never seen that before and I almost lost my mind thinking I have to replace all the tubing.

Water Parameters for Last Week.

Water Parameters for Last Week.

So I have started keeping a log of my water parameters and also have decided to not add any additional livestock or corals to my main display aquarium because it would be more beneficially for me to start another aquarium specifically for the purpose of quarantine and eventually fragging. But please see below for my water parameters.

An Outcome I Wasn't Expecting.

An Outcome I Wasn't Expecting.

So I took some time to sit in front of my aquarium as things has been running quite nicely and I really haven't done anything except a water change recently and all my parameters looks great. My wife comes down stairs and asks me what's wrong? I say nothing. She says common you have that look when your not fully satisfied with something. I replied that I love tinkering with the aquarium, its like a constantly changing puzzle. But this puzzle is almost complete and.... She stops me and says you want a bigger aquarium. I said yes this aquarium is beautiful but its not my dream aquarium. I was hoping for something around the 500 - 700 gallon display with maybe 1,000 gallons total system size and something I built from the ground up. But I also don't want to tear this one down just yet because it has so much potential. She said, why don't you do both. Plan for the 1,000 gallon plus system. Take your time, and make it exactly the way you want and play with this one in the time being. I love this woman and this is one of the many reasons I married her. So this aquarium build will continue but I am also going to mix in plans for a 1,000 gallon system!

Well let me start right off at saying I have never done this before and I could purchase an aquarium manufactured by a professional aquarium company but I don't want to do that. I want to build everything from scratch and have the pleasure (or misery if it bursts a seem) of saying that this was something I built from the ground up. So with that being said who on within the community has every built an aquarium? I have always preferred glass aquariums but in this case I am also considering acrylic. Any thoughts or suggestions. I'm looking to go 60 inches wide x 60 inches deep x 24 inches tall. That should give me roughly 374 gallons in the display alone.

Full Thread Can Be Found Below:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23857038#post23857038

Back