Jims 16" bubble

What do you plan to stock the tank with? It is an amazing design it could go in Guiness as the worlds most elaborate fish bowl.

I've been watching this the whole time Jim, it looks beautiful. Great job on the tank, can't wait to see it stocked and in your living room!

Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments & staying with it so long.

I plan on all non-photosynthetic corals, some really small gobies & sexy shrimp. Yes This tank should get the award for most effort per gallon of water ever, for sure.

laugh I tried to fit a 1 1/2" pipe in the sump, but couldn't figure a way to do it without being in the way of some thing. Meanwhile I'll keep looking & thinking & maybe something will come to me to get a bigger pipe in there.

Jim, been a while since I've been around here. See you're taking the vase to a whole new level...nice job so far. I sold mine a while back, still have a few ideas that I should probably implement in a new vase someday...maybe one of these day I'll start up another side project

Good to hear from you map. Ought to do it. That's how we all get new ideas, from others new ideas. That is exactly how I got started down this path, from seeing yours & a few others innovative ways of doing small tanks. Some of my friends tell me I could sell tanks like these. But I don't want to even think of how much they would cost. I might think about it though if I could find a bigger glass sphere. A bigger sphere would not be any more work to build around & might make the cost more practical. So if you ever run across a bigger glass sphere please let me know.

Jim

I never have liked acrylic tanks. they always get scratched up. Just cleaning the algae off degrades the finish, even if you don't get any sand between the acrylic & magnet cleaner. They do look nice till that happens though. That said I did bookmark the link just in case.

Thanks
Jim

I've built a few of those vase tanks for friends and it was suggested that I build and sell these but like you said, it's hard to justify the cost. The last one I sold was pretty much a give away.

My 5 yr son has a freshwater planted tank but he has been asking for us to build a small reef tank and get 2 nemos....so, I started kicking around crazy ideas for a small tank again...I just don't know if I want to deal with the maintenance if it's not hooked into my main tank.

I love NPS corals, & had a 30gal NPS tank hooked into my SPS system. The heavy feeding that NPS requires caused problems with the SPS system, even though it was pushing ten times bigger. A stand alone system is the way to go for NPS. And your right, you'd have to love them for the maintenance to be worth it. Five year olds can be hard to say no to though.

Well I tried some other gulg busters, but the short story is, this is what worked best.

glugbuster.jpg

Ended up it just needed another place to let air & noise out, & another muffler.

Another thing I wanted to do is have a button, switch, or turn a nob to turn off the skimmer when I feed, & have it come back on automatically after 30 mins to a hour. Foolishly I thought this would be a simple thing. Oh no!

timedelay.jpg

Apparently this is the way you have to do it. Trust me when I say I'm not very good at electrical stuff. It took couple hours of running around finding all the parts, then a half a day getting them put together & working.

Maybe saltwater tomorrow!

Jim

Very Nice. How much did the timer relay cost? I see you incorperated an indicator light. Very wise. Is the light on when the skimmer is running or when in feed mode?

I think what looks like a indicator light is really a fuse. The relay was about $50, another $50 or so for other electrical parts.

Again, the most effort & cost per gallon of water any tank I've ever seen. Still can't wait to get it set up.

$100 on a switch? Seems like you should've just forked over the extra $50 for an Apex Jr....
Or even spend the same money on an RKL.

I wasn't familiar with the Apex Jr. Looked it up & couldn't tell if it has a function that will turn some thing off & back on after a time or not? But if it does I certainly would have gotten one of them instead. The $100 wasn't all switch parts, most though.

The apex jr actually has 4 different customizable Feed programs that you choose when to activate, and what they do. They last for however long you program them to and can be cancelled early anytime. Not to mention the countless other abilities it has.

I wish some one would have suggested that when I ask about a time delay device on the DIY forum. I didn't think you could get all that in a small controller like that. Oh well now I know for next time.

Thanks

Saltwater!

Saltwater!

Got it in the living room with saltwater in it.

lowviewcomp.jpg

highviewcomp.jpg

Just a couple quick pix, low & higher front view with the center rock set in place. Did the high/low view so you could see the distortion at different angles.

I have a job all day tomorrow, but day after I'll start putting corals & fish in. More pix then.

Can't wait! Been along time coming.

Jim

ps it holds 12gal total, 7 in tank 5 in sump

Last edited:
Back