jumpy fish with no lid?

Riona

I just got (impulse buy. . .) a Halichoeres wrasse this evening. I don't currently have a lid on my tank, just egg crate, and am planning to grab some screen from BRS to make one. Currently since I haven't filled the tank fully my water level sits about 4" below the top of the tank. Is that enough for now to keep her IN the tank, or should I lower it more until the screen comes in and I can get the top built?

Also, how tight does it need to fit? The only section so far that will need to be cut away is for the powerhead wires, though I'll possibly need to add more if I can figure out an overflow for the tank.

It’s going to depend on the size of the wrasse. I use egg crate on my 65 as the lid and never had any issues with jumping. That said, almost all my fish (wrasse included) are larger than the egg crate holes. I would like to think a smaller fish like that wouldn’t be able to knock the egg crate enough to get out but wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up in an overflow

Thank you both. She's still smaller than the egg crate holes, so I pulled out 5 gallons of water. Hopefully that will keep her in there until the mesh gets here and I can build a top she won't be able to get out of. Don't have an overflow yet. That's the next project on the list!

Back