Just tested my water.

tuna no crust

Hi All just tested my water using RedSea kit.
Some of my values seem off. I also test with Hanna for calcium and DKH. Salifert for MG
Fluval for Phosphate.

I'm wondering if the 40 lbs of dry rock that I added are affecting values. I just rinsed the rock in RODI and put it in the tank.

I wanted to start dosing Caribsea Purple Up, but I'm afraid the calcium will be to high.
I only did one dose last night.

I have a 75 gal with 35lbs of gulf live rock.

Here are my test results:
PH=8.2
Nitrite=.05
Nitrate =50
Ammonia =0
DKH=12.5
Calcium =477
Magnesium =1410
Phosphate =1.0

Hey, I am in the process of adding dry rock, the method I use is to soak it in salt water for at least a month with weekly water changes, making sure it is at the right temperature or close to your tank, and a small pump to circulate the water. After the first week I put a small light on it for 3-4 hours daily.

I added a piece of established rock and some sand from my sump, a bit of bacteria, coraline algae from my glass and small doses of fish food once and a while. I am still in the process so I cant tell you exactly how well this will work but adding new dry rock it will cause a mini cycle in your tank if not done correctly and can leach phosphate until cured proper.

I have done the same and just rinsed and throwin it in and every time I have a mini cycle which sucks. Just my experience but I am new to the hobby so I'm not sure what others experiences are

Your Alk and Ca are just a tad on the high side.

Purple Up will add Ca for sure and, I think, Alk as well. I would discontinue that for now.

Back