KCET Nova show about "killer algae"

s13silvia

i was channel surfing and saw a commercial for this show on tuesdays on KCET at 8pm pacific time. i saw what looked to be feather caluerpa :eek:

KCET link

Yes, this NOVA program was aired last Spring? It's a good watch and it looks at the current problem in the Mediterranean Sea and California coast. It also looks at current methods to kill it.

This is a new program for the year 2003

All the Caulerpa taxifolia being used in the saltwater aquarium trade are clones of the superweed strain found in the 1970s?

Is it true that the Australians have given up on eradicating Caulerpa Taxifolia?

It is amazing that it can survive in 50Ã"šÃ‚° F water.

just watched it --- good - pretty scary tooo - the med may be dead due to the Monaco Marine Museum dumping some of their calurlpa down the drain...

I've finally put a face to my demon in my tank. The algae grows like a brush fire. Its true none of my herbivores or my tang makes a dent in it. The only solution I have found has been pulling it out manually. I was wondering if this stuff will grow in fresh water? I accidently flushed some down the drain and I'm pretty sure it went through the storm drain. After watching Nova, I was wondering if it adapts to fresh water. I placed a frag in a plastic water bottle full of fresh RO water on my window sill. Only time will tell. I live in the the great lakes region and what a disaster it would make if it survives? Not knowing this mistake how many others have done this in the hobby. I think this algae should be banned for sale period!!!!! Here is a pic before I started pulling the weed out. The picture was taken at around January of 2003.

This is a pic from March of 2003 showing the progress, but its a continual battle. I can't ever take a breather.

It seems to me that there should be a world-wide campaign on the part of aquarium owners to remove this stuff from our tanks and kill it before it spreads any further. Additionally, suppliers who sell it should be discouraged (Inland Aquatics lists it in their on-line store) and we should get laws passed banning its sale or possession. The only regulation Nova mentioned was an import ban, but it's clearly still being sold within the States.

Interesting, isn't it, that this bio-hazard was developed in Germany and spread primarily by France, who insisted it wasn't a real problem as long as they could? They probably still think inspectors can control it.

Richard Bennett

The algae is already listed as a Federal Noxious Weed so shipping it INTERSTATE is already illegal, but I think this applies to the Wilhema strain only. The mexicana/ taxifolia that comes with feeder sea grape is a much different beast.
This is sort of like Japanese Blood Grass, the species is Imperata cylindrica which is a federal listed noxious weed, we had shipments of orchids from the fareast rejected because they found seeds on the plants. You can still find this grass from perennial growers. A friend of mine told me they had growing at Disney and they had to bury all of it 20 feet deep.
The moral of the story is we should give all our waste water a good dose of chlorox before we dump it down the drain.

It could also be classified a noxious weed under state law, as St. John's Wort is in California. Trouble is, these statutes aren't enforced, or you wouldn't be able to buy caulerpa from Inland Aquatics and have it shipped all over the country. Maybe it should have the status of marijuana (legally, I mean - possession and use banned all across the country).

The federal noxious weed list calls out Caulerpa taxifolia (Caulerpaceae)(Mediterranean clone of caulerpa).

It turns out that California is already on the case, and banned taxifolia and several other species of caulerpa back in 2001:

CALIFORNIA CODES
FISH AND GAME CODE
SECTION 2300

2300. (a) No person shall sell, possess, import, transport, transfer, release alive in the state, or give away without consideration the salt water algae of the Caulerpa species: taxifolia, cupressoides, mexicana, sertulariodes, floridana, ashmeadii, racemosa, verticillata, and scapelliformis.

(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), a person may possess, for bona fide scientific research, as determined by the department, upon authorization by the department, the salt water algae of the Caulerpa species: taxifolia, cupressoides, mexicana, sertulariodes, floridana, ashmeadii, racemosa, verticillata, and scapelliformis.

(c) In addition to any other penalty provided by law, any person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of not less than five hundred dollars ($500) and not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) for each violation.

--

I wonder how many dealers are aware that it's illegal to sell these varieties to Californians?

Back