Keeping Saltwater

MyPartOfTheSEA

I was wondering if I were to keep a Rubbermaid bin with about 20 gallons of saltwater with a power head (290gph) in there. Will this be a good idea or not???

Pros???

Cons????

Thanks for your help!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9832622#post9832622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by In Deep Water
Depends on what you are trying to do. If just to keep the water stable then that should be fine.

I would like to use this for water changes only!!!

vary good idea I have been doing that for 10 years plus I keep a heater in it so that the water is the same temperature as my display tank . I also store real salt water straight from the public aquarium up the road were I live . They have a filtering system they use plus offer the water to the public free. I store it for sometimes a month or two I have had no problems what's so ever. hope this helps

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9832645#post9832645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AmosUSA
vary good idea I have been doing that for 10 years plus I keep a heater in it so the water is the same temperature as my display tank . I also store real salt water straight from the public aquarium up the road were I live they have a filtering system they use plus offer the water to the public free and I store it for sometimes a month or two I have and no problems what's so ever.

What do you keep it in???

Well....you might run into problems with salinity. As the water in the rubbermaid bin would evaporate. This will cause the water that you will do the water change with to have a higher salinity. I keep two 5 gallon jugs on hand. I make sure they are air tight and maintained at 78F. I havent had any problems yet........

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9832669#post9832669 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by In Deep Water
Well....you might run into problems with salinity. As the water in the Rubbermaid bin would evaporate. This will cause the water that you will do the water change with to have a higher salinity. I keep two 5 gallon jugs on hand. I make sure they are air tight and maintained at 78F. I haven't had any problems yet........

Vary true I keep my salt water in large 20 gallon buckets with a lid on it plus I have a small pump running in it. So far i have not had any problems with evaporation . But just before you do your water change just recheck the salinity make sure its the same as your display tank.

Last edited:
Re: Keeping Saltwater

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9832609#post9832609 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MyPartOfTheSEA
I was wondering if I were to keep a Rubbermaid bin with about 20 gallons of saltwater with a power head (290gph) in there. Will this be a good idea or not???

Pros???

Cons????

Thanks for your help!

Totally fine. Many of us keep saltwater on had in case of emergency. You can either keep it in a sealed container, preferably dark for long periods of time or you can do like you said and keep it circulated if you plan on using it more frequently. I would always check the salinity before use as there might be some evaporation. ;)

Back