Keeping SPS at 21C, 1.0235 Salinity and 6.3 Alk.....

biggles

Premium Member
Two weeks ago i got the calibration fluid out and used it on my broken refractometer which i dropped years ago and cracked the glass and broke the plastic water holding flap off.
Hadn't checked it in 3 or 4 months so i thought the long trek to the cupboard to fetch the calibration fluid was warranted.

After the 1.0265 calibration fluid read as 1.0285 on my refractometer i adjusted it and then checked my 1.0255 system water.

Result - 1.0235

I spent a week slowly raising it back up to where it is now - 1.0255. Been dropping for months obviously but none of you bothered to tell me to check my refractometer calibration and this is the result - thanks a lot :mad:

Yesterday i went to Deer Park aquarium to get a new refractometer and guess bloody what - out of stock ! Dave is on holidays spending time with his new daughter Mackenzie, first child so apparently he thinks that's more important than being at the shop in case i need him.
He sent me a selfie pick of Mackenzie asleep on his chest, she was sound asleep and Dave had a look of utter happiness on his face. The poor guy has no idea what's coming............. i remember standing in the backyard in the dark quietly sobbing to myself due to severe sleep deprivation and anxiety.......

Biggles Parenting Tip

If your mother in law tells you your wife ' had terrible colic as a baby and just screamed for the first six months and never slept ' you should do one simple thing prior to bringing your new child home. Wait until late at night and sneak into the hospital quietly, swap your baby with a similar looking one and say nothing to anyone........ especially your wife. :thumbsup:

Anyway, while i was chatting with Mark who is looking after things i spotted the new AF test kits on a shelf and since they are in much shinier eye catching boxes compared to the Salifert ones i decided to try the kH kit out, mainly because it comes with a reference solution so i can verify i'm reading the kit correctly.
New Salifert kit said my water was 7.0, been keeping it there for a while. Tried the same test with the new AF kit and it gave me a result of 6.3. Used the AF ref solution which is 7.3 with the Salifert kit and it gave me 8.0.
I'm getting the AF calcium and Mg test kits tomorrow and chucking the Salifert ones, this hobby is hard enough without that sort of garbage to contend with. Salifert used to include a alk ref bottle but i can see why they stopped that :debi:
The AF alk kit was $30- instead of $25- AU for the dodgy Salifert one but i would pay the extra five bucks just for the cool looking box it comes in lol. The AF kit actually being accurate is just a bonus in my books :spin3:

Try the AF alk kit out at least once if you use Salifert like me, it's worth it just to get the ref solution one time to make sure you can trust the readings you're seeing when you test your water.
I am not an AF groupie and i paid for the kit so i'm not trying to push their stuff - it gives a verifiable result which seems to be spot on so that's a good thing in my books considering how important alk is to all of us :deadhorse1:

Since my Eheim 300W heater has had water in it for a year or more and was 4 years old i decided to upgrade it to a fancy new 500W titanium heater with a temp probe and electronic controller - to me this is like one of you guys buying an Apex system, high bloody tech ! I also got some AF reef salt so i could siphon clean the sand and a new Glamorca gyre pump to have as a backup. They are only about 80% as powerful as my Maxspect XF-150 but cost $300- rather than $550- for a new Maxspect gyre. The XF-150 was $400- a year ago but the new model is now too dear for me unfortunately.
My XF-150 has started turning itself off at random and i discovered there's some problem with the wire connections to the controller. If i tap the wires it suddenly turns back on and i've found the pump off in the morning twice now and it does pretty much all the flow for the display so i need to get it fixed ASAP. For all i know i've let moisture or something into the connections over time but i'm getting Mark to order me a new controller and a set of rotor blades since one of mine smashed itself on a snail finally - i dread to think what the new parts are going to sting me but i want it up and running again.

I think my Maxspect gye is the best thing since sliced bread but i seriously want to take it out the back and smash it with a hammer right now..........

When i got home i pulled out the old heater and set up the new fancy one with the probe in the section where the water enters from the display and the heater down current in another sump section. Looked at my trusty temp probe that's made for monitoring your indoor/outdoor air temp but i just chucked the sealed outdoor probe in the water years ago and it tested spot on against a thermometer i had at the time. 25.7C which is normal, it usually swings from low 25's to high 26's each day and has been this way for ages.

Turned on the new heater and the reading says 21C ! What the $%# is going on here think i, bloody typical that i buy the stuffed heater made late on a Friday arvo......... i had no other temp measuring devices so i was basically freaking out no knowing what the hell was going on with my water. The weather said it was 13C outside so i put the old probe outside and it said 17C even though the main unit read 14C.......... hmmmmmmm
I ring Mark at the shop and told him what was going on and he replied with,

" Sh$t Andy, what are you going to do, those titanium heaters are pretty reliable and we haven't had a bad review from any customers ? "

" I want you to make everything ok Mark, that's what i bloody want mate ! "

" Are you sure you don't have another thermometer anywhere to check things "

" Obviously not or i would have used it, i'm coming to the shop tomorrow to get a digital temp thing and a new refractometer ( came in the day after i visit :mad: ). "

" No probs mate, i'll put them aside for you along with the AF test kits "

After hanging up i went to the cupboard and got the digital TDS meter with inbuilt digital temp probe, no way was i telling Marky boy that he had jogged my memory, he'd get a big head.
By now the new heater thing was starting to change between 21 and 22C and the old unit said 26.2C. I stick the TDS thing in and it reads 21.8C............... i was going to make a short video of me reversing the ute over the old temp monitor but it was raining so i smashed it with a hammer on the patio instead and was too angry to think about cinematography at the time. :deadhorse1:

The system is now at 24C and i will leave it there for a few days before lifting it to 25C and watching things for a while. 70F - 73F is where i've been keeping my system water for the last 9-12 months or so............ :rolleyes:

Anyway, just thought i'd give you an update on my reef in case you think anything has changed since i no longer keep a journal. Nothing's changed, i still do the stupidest things imaginable when it comes to my SPS reef so don't feel bad when you goof - you're amateurs :wavehand:

I also bought a little acro for the first time in 3 months ! I was crawling up the wall with acro withdraws but i feel much better now i had a taste :)

Seriously though..
I can see low temps, low (ish) salinity and again low (ish) alk as a recipe for slow growth.
It will definitely be interesting to see if raising them will boost growth.
Motivates me to go get some solution for my refractometer and a different alk kit to compare to mine.
My one thought is that if calcium, magnesium and other elements are in the right range and things are stable, would corals really be stunted by your low parameters?
I think the low temp may be most significant...
Andrew, you know, you'll have to provide before and after shots. This is a visual based forum and all..
Oh.. and no lazy arse pics from last month!!
Current 'before' shot please! :)

Seriously though..
I can see low temps, low (ish) salinity and again low (ish) alk as a recipe for slow growth.
It will definitely be interesting to see if raising them will boost growth.
Motivates me to go get some solution for my refractometer and a different alk kit to compare to mine.
My one thought is that if calcium, magnesium and other elements are in the right range and things are stable, would corals really be stunted by your low parameters?
I think the low temp may be most significant...
Andrew, you know, you'll have to provide before and after shots. This is a visual based forum and all..
Oh.. and no lazy arse pics from last month!!
Current 'before' shot please! :)

Hey Matt,

I don't think the low alk is a worry since i already keep it down near NSW levels anyway. The dodgy refractometer which can be thrown out of calibration simply by placing it on the bench softly is just stupid laziness on my behalf in not replacing it lol. You know i still have the ATO float bracket clamped to the sump glass with a hardware wood clamp because i haven't ordered a new $20- replacement unit.............. like it broke over a year ago........ :debi:

I tried yelling at the Maxspect gyre ' all you have to do is turn on and off every 4 seconds you piece of sh$t pump ' but despite my best attempts at a biggles fix the gyre refuses to comply unfortunately. And get this !

I opened the new gyre box and some noodle head has decided to make the glamorca thing a BLUE color. Despite the universally accepted principle of making pumps black because we reefers pretend that color is invisible to the eye, some new age whale rolling hippie pump designer decided to break from the norm and go with dark blue.................
The Maxspect gyre looks lean, mean and being black it is invisible to any reefer's eye. The new pump looks like the handlebar off a five year old child's pushbike. All that is missing are the streamers on the ends of the blue handlebar. You Glamorca guys should add those as a flow indicator feature imo, just go to a bike shop and stock up on handlebar tassles and glue them onto the ends of your ' i'm not invisible i'm a big stupid shade of blue so i look terrible against everyone's pump cloaking device ' - the black background ! :deadhorse1:

I think the low temp might be a big part of why it's been hard to get the tank growing anywhere near your level Matt but who knows, i still have a big collection of cool colored acros sitting on rocks as if placed yesterday - i hate the entire reef these days despite it looking colorful as hell lol. I just want something to grow a bit, like that's not asking for too much is it......... :fun5:

Considering you are now a ROTM i would have thought you already had calibration solutions and reference test kits........... you're supposed to set a bloody example Matt. Whilst i don't think there's a need to strip you of the title i would like to see you put a little more effort in please buddy :p

Went back to the shop this morning and came home with a new refractometer, Mark checked the calibration for me, and when i asked if he could get me some calibration fluid in, he pointed out that the AF calcium test kit comes with a reference solution for calcium, magnesium and salinity - so i bought the new AF calcium kit. I also grabbed another digital probe thermometer since i still couldn't believe the water was at 21-21C all year.

When i got home i put the new digital thermometer probe in the sump beside the old probe and the new heater probe and grabbed the TDS meter as well.

Digital TDS - 24.1C 75.4F

Heater Probe - 24.0C 75.2F

New Therm - 24.4C 75.9F

Old Therm - 28.2C 82.7F

The daytime PE on most acros is better at the end of today so i turned the heater up another degree to 25C or 77F.

I used my years old calibration fluid on the new refractometer and it read 1.0275 instead of 1.0265. I used the fluid that came with the AF calium kit and it read spot on at the stated salinity of 33ppt. So the stinking calibration fluid has evaporated a little bit over time ( duh ) and my water tested at 1.0245 instead of the 1.0255 i thought i had brought it up to. That means it was actually 1.0225 when i discovered the broken refractometer was out of whack.

I tested the calcium with the Salifert kit - 460
Tested with the new AF calcium kit - 460

I trust the Salifert kit but will just get the AF one from now on for the extra benefits, if you have a salinity ref solution you actually trust then the Salifert is the cheaper option. The AF kit is $35- as opposed to $25- AU for the Salifert kit.

This concludes my brief update on the state of my system, it's been hours since i last saw an iceberg adrift in the display. The fish are reacting to the temp increase by behaving like cichlids and everyone is chasing everyone all over the place and displaying male colors to each other. Two of the thug anthias ( coopers ) are ganging up on the male lyretail who refuses to back off - i just slapped the display glass to break the jaw locking up.
One of the 1.5" long chromis just chased the 3.5" long wrasse over the overflow where one of the less dominant male coopers decided to go about 30 mins ago.................. awesome ! :debi:

I have renamed the overflow section Coward County.

Great to hear from you Andrew! Hope you've enjoyed your break from keeping a journal. I totally get the lack of growth complaint as I've struggled with my own mess. For me it's like a rollercoaster, I get growth and lousy colors followed by no growth with better color. I can never seem to get growth with good color. Right now i have two corals bleaching while others are browning out while parameters are spot on!! Gotta love this insane hobby.I always enjoy your post and your banter. :)

Thanks Scott, i'm sorry to hear you're having a few dramas too but hopefully things settle down for you soon buddy. No one in their right mind would put themselves through the insanity of SPS keeping mate lol. :beer:

Here's a before pic for Matt of the washed out piece i made Mark pick out for me since everything was 3 weeks at the shop and looking poopy. Mark always comes over and looks at what i select and asks questions about why i pick something in particular out of a pile of more eye catching pieces.
By doing that with all the Deer Park aquarium SPS crazies like me he has pretty much developed a red hot ability to pick out the best acros in the sale tank when pushed for an opinion.
I don't claim to be a leading influence on Mark's acro selecting abilities but i do sometimes think he has picked up on a few things i often say when i look over the acro tank.

' Anything cool in Marky boy ? ' - it's a given i mean acros.........

' Nah, just lots of mainly green sh$t you'd hate '

I rest my case people :)

image.jpg

Andrew,
You might try to stick to the magic number 7, or you may really start to confefe you acros and fish. For example: raise your temp. from 70 to 77. Keep your alk at 7.0. Cut back your Biggles Matrix Coeffiect to only 7 liters per gallon. Keep your 7 light fixtures, but cut the par down to 700. You may be ok with salinity at 1.026 but 1.027 may work till the fish and across thaw out a bit.

Just a thought, HTH.

Andrew,
You might try to stick to the magic number 7, or you may really start to confefe you acros and fish. For example: raise your temp. from 70 to 77. Keep your alk at 7.0. Cut back your Biggles Matrix Coeffiect to only 7 liters per gallon. Keep your 7 light fixtures, but cut the par down to 700. You may be ok with salinity at 1.026 but 1.027 may work till the fish and across thaw out a bit.

Just a thought, HTH.

Lol, i will give it some thought mate. :D

The new piece has lost most of the washed out look after just two days in the display. This is something you can take to the bank, this isn't up for debate in regards to selecting yourself a stunning red or pink hued wild piece. Even if there is almost no pigment on the branch you may be looking at due to shipping stress but it has a hint of pink or maybe red............ but it's so faint and you are probably looking at dropping hundreds on the acro if it's a fresh aussie shipment and there are five or six similar pink or red based branches also to drool over..........

WHICH ONE WILL I PICK !

If you find a pink, red or mauve hued piece and it has the same polyp structure as the classic SSC then it is guaranteed to be an eye catcher just as long as you can keep nice pinks and or reds on SSC, Lemonade etc.
The single long white arm on each polyp is exactly the same polyp that is ALWAYS present on SSC. My Pink Moose has the same polyps and is a pink and white princess. That bright white polyp arm removes all doubt as to which piece to choose.

image.jpg

I think i need to start another journal instead of prattling on here lol ......:rollface:

Andrew,
Every time I read your comments, it is like watching the tv show Home and Away.
Plenty of dramas. Peace out.

I hate that show and every person connected with it's production Kevin. That pretty much sums up my opinion on 90% of commercial TV shows now days :wavehand:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I recently added a bright red scrolling monti frag, an aussie forest fire digi and this digi Kevin - Peace out :thumbsup:

image.jpg

Oh, and i bought a piece of Leptoseris papyracea - first piece of it i've seen in person and it's growth is too delicate and pretty to ignore. Hopefully it will do something crazy color wise because it's pale tan atm.

Last edited:
All I can say is you're a bloody goose!! :lol: I'm heading to Dave's on Sat if you have some spare time :) Some groovy fish to waste my money on are coming in!

I hate that show and every person connected with it's production Kevin. That pretty much sums up my opinion on 90% of commercial TV shows now days :wavehand:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I recently added a bright red scrolling monti frag, an aussie forest fire digi and this digi Kevin - Peace out :thumbsup:

image.jpg

Oh, and i bought a piece of Leptoseris papyracea - first piece of it i've seen in person and it's growth is too delicate and pretty to ignore. Hopefully it will do something crazy color wise because it's pale tan atm.

Nice forest digi mate.
Let me know when you going to frag a piece.
There are 2 variety I have seen. :lol2:

Two weeks ago i got the calibration fluid out and used it on my broken refractometer which i dropped years ago and cracked the glass and broke the plastic water holding flap off.
Hadn't checked it in 3 or 4 months so i thought the long trek to the cupboard to fetch the calibration fluid was warranted.

After the 1.0265 calibration fluid read as 1.0285 on my refractometer i adjusted it and then checked my 1.0255 system water.

Result - 1.0235

I spent a week slowly raising it back up to where it is now - 1.0255. Been dropping for months obviously but none of you bothered to tell me to check my refractometer calibration and this is the result - thanks a lot :mad:

Yesterday i went to Deer Park aquarium to get a new refractometer and guess bloody what - out of stock ! Dave is on holidays spending time with his new daughter Mackenzie, first child so apparently he thinks that's more important than being at the shop in case i need him.
He sent me a selfie pick of Mackenzie asleep on his chest, she was sound asleep and Dave had a look of utter happiness on his face. The poor guy has no idea what's coming............. i remember standing in the backyard in the dark quietly sobbing to myself due to severe sleep deprivation and anxiety.......

Biggles Parenting Tip

If your mother in law tells you your wife ' had terrible colic as a baby and just screamed for the first six months and never slept ' you should do one simple thing prior to bringing your new child home. Wait until late at night and sneak into the hospital quietly, swap your baby with a similar looking one and say nothing to anyone........ especially your wife. [emoji106]

Anyway, while i was chatting with Mark who is looking after things i spotted the new AF test kits on a shelf and since they are in much shinier eye catching boxes compared to the Salifert ones i decided to try the kH kit out, mainly because it comes with a reference solution so i can verify i'm reading the kit correctly.
New Salifert kit said my water was 7.0, been keeping it there for a while. Tried the same test with the new AF kit and it gave me a result of 6.3. Used the AF ref solution which is 7.3 with the Salifert kit and it gave me 8.0.
I'm getting the AF calcium and Mg test kits tomorrow and chucking the Salifert ones, this hobby is hard enough without that sort of garbage to contend with. Salifert used to include a alk ref bottle but i can see why they stopped that :debi:
The AF alk kit was $30- instead of $25- AU for the dodgy Salifert one but i would pay the extra five bucks just for the cool looking box it comes in lol. The AF kit actually being accurate is just a bonus in my books :spin3:

Try the AF alk kit out at least once if you use Salifert like me, it's worth it just to get the ref solution one time to make sure you can trust the readings you're seeing when you test your water.
I am not an AF groupie and i paid for the kit so i'm not trying to push their stuff - it gives a verifiable result which seems to be spot on so that's a good thing in my books considering how important alk is to all of us :deadhorse1:

Since my Eheim 300W heater has had water in it for a year or more and was 4 years old i decided to upgrade it to a fancy new 500W titanium heater with a temp probe and electronic controller - to me this is like one of you guys buying an Apex system, high bloody tech ! I also got some AF reef salt so i could siphon clean the sand and a new Glamorca gyre pump to have as a backup. They are only about 80% as powerful as my Maxspect XF-150 but cost $300- rather than $550- for a new Maxspect gyre. The XF-150 was $400- a year ago but the new model is now too dear for me unfortunately.
My XF-150 has started turning itself off at random and i discovered there's some problem with the wire connections to the controller. If i tap the wires it suddenly turns back on and i've found the pump off in the morning twice now and it does pretty much all the flow for the display so i need to get it fixed ASAP. For all i know i've let moisture or something into the connections over time but i'm getting Mark to order me a new controller and a set of rotor blades since one of mine smashed itself on a snail finally - i dread to think what the new parts are going to sting me but i want it up and running again.

I think my Maxspect gye is the best thing since sliced bread but i seriously want to take it out the back and smash it with a hammer right now..........

When i got home i pulled out the old heater and set up the new fancy one with the probe in the section where the water enters from the display and the heater down current in another sump section. Looked at my trusty temp probe that's made for monitoring your indoor/outdoor air temp but i just chucked the sealed outdoor probe in the water years ago and it tested spot on against a thermometer i had at the time. 25.7C which is normal, it usually swings from low 25's to high 26's each day and has been this way for ages.

Turned on the new heater and the reading says 21C ! What the $%# is going on here think i, bloody typical that i buy the stuffed heater made late on a Friday arvo......... i had no other temp measuring devices so i was basically freaking out no knowing what the hell was going on with my water. The weather said it was 13C outside so i put the old probe outside and it said 17C even though the main unit read 14C.......... hmmmmmmm
I ring Mark at the shop and told him what was going on and he replied with,

" Sh$t Andy, what are you going to do, those titanium heaters are pretty reliable and we haven't had a bad review from any customers ? "

" I want you to make everything ok Mark, that's what i bloody want mate ! "

" Are you sure you don't have another thermometer anywhere to check things "

" Obviously not or i would have used it, i'm coming to the shop tomorrow to get a digital temp thing and a new refractometer ( came in the day after i visit :mad: ). "

" No probs mate, i'll put them aside for you along with the AF test kits "

After hanging up i went to the cupboard and got the digital TDS meter with inbuilt digital temp probe, no way was i telling Marky boy that he had jogged my memory, he'd get a big head.
By now the new heater thing was starting to change between 21 and 22C and the old unit said 26.2C. I stick the TDS thing in and it reads 21.8C............... i was going to make a short video of me reversing the ute over the old temp monitor but it was raining so i smashed it with a hammer on the patio instead and was too angry to think about cinematography at the time. :deadhorse1:

The system is now at 24C and i will leave it there for a few days before lifting it to 25C and watching things for a while. 70F - 73F is where i've been keeping my system water for the last 9-12 months or so............ :rolleyes:

Anyway, just thought i'd give you an update on my reef in case you think anything has changed since i no longer keep a journal. Nothing's changed, i still do the stupidest things imaginable when it comes to my SPS reef so don't feel bad when you goof - you're amateurs :wavehand:

I also bought a little acro for the first time in 3 months ! I was crawling up the wall with acro withdraws but i feel much better now i had a taste :)
Get ready for a huge growth spurt my friend. Now we know why your tank had been staying miniature. One thing I noticed with this quite wordy rant is that it doesn't contain one bloody picture! I should have scrolled down first so I didn't waste my time reading without the reward of some pretty pictures.

I was taking with a friend at a local frag swap this past weekend that keeps a blue face in his sps display! It's got me thinking of trying one. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

All I can say is you're a bloody goose!! :lol: I'm heading to Dave's on Sat if you have some spare time :) Some groovy fish to waste my money on are coming in!

I may be a goose Dom but you are just plain weird. When Dom and i go to Dave's shop i walk in the door and go straight to the acro tank - where else would a serious SPS keeper bloody go !
Dom on the other hand heads straight to the fish holding tanks and ALWAYS starts ooohiing and ahhing over some 2" long piece of sh$t wrasse that looks like every other wrasse to me.

' No Andy it's very rare, can you see the small dots on it's pectoral fins....... that's what makes it rare......... DAVE ! how much is this stunning little guy '

' $300- for you Dom '

' Awesome, he's mine Dave '

He then looks at me smiling like a grinning idiot and i ALWAYS say something along the lines of

' You're $%#%@ crazy Dom, seriously mate, there's something wrong with you '

He then laughs, i think he thinks i'm kidding around or something but i'm not at all. I even shake my head as i walk off and he still seems to think what he's doing is acceptable behavior.

You best not do it this Saturday Dom or the guys will see a video of you floundering about in the 6 x 4 flubber tank.......... :thumbsup:

Nice forest digi mate.
Let me know when you going to frag a piece.
There are 2 variety I have seen. :lol2:

Hey Kevin, once i get some growth happening and can frag my acros i will send you a lot more than digi's buddy :)

Get ready for a huge growth spurt my friend. Now we know why your tank had been staying miniature. One thing I noticed with this quite wordy rant is that it doesn't contain one bloody picture! I should have scrolled down first so I didn't waste my time reading without the reward of some pretty pictures.

I was taking with a friend at a local frag swap this past weekend that keeps a blue face in his sps display! It's got me thinking of trying one. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hey Brandon, i can already see almost every coral looking much healthier and brighter. PE is much better also, once the polyps thawed out i think they were able to come out......... :spin1:

What do i think of getting a blue face angel Brandon............. i need to see one swimming in T5 porn before i can make up my mind........... :thumbsup:

image.jpg

Frag of what i hoped might be wild pikachu because it had a red hue to the branch skin with fluoro tips - not looking good. :(

One of the two super blue tennuis that Sustainable Reef's aquaculture and send to stupid places overseas. :mad: Dave tried to tell me that they basically look identical, i told you about it after he visited with Sam. Sammy could see the other one is bluer and has purpley blue radial polyps along with blue axial polyps - good guy is Sammy and he knows his stuff when it comes to SPS :thumbsup:

The middle frag was given to me by Sam. Don't really need to say much about that one.......

image.jpg

I am wondering how you managed to keep your water that low in the first place especially with no chiller! Do Aussies keep their houses at 66 degrees or something? I can't get my tank to go lower than 75 even with no lights on for a few days and the house ac on at 72. I hope this solves your growth issue because you have a nice reef just waiting to blow up. I knew something had to be a little off. Now just make sure to calibrate your refractometer before every use so that doesn't go out of wack over time as well and you should be golden. Can't wait for updates and glad things are perking up already.
I also cant believe you didn't get cold putting your hand in that freezing cold water! That's fairly chilly!

I am wondering how you managed to keep your water that low in the first place especially with no chiller! Do Aussies keep their houses at 66 degrees or something? I can't get my tank to go lower than 75 even with no lights on for a few days and the house ac on at 72. I hope this solves your growth issue because you have a nice reef just waiting to blow up. I knew something had to be a little off. Now just make sure to calibrate your refractometer before every use so that doesn't go out of wack over time as well and you should be golden. Can't wait for updates and glad things are perking up already.
I also cant believe you didn't get cold putting your hand in that freezing cold water! That's fairly chilly!

All this winter i have had to leave the wall aircon blowing on the display set at 19C during the day and i assumed the room was heating up being closed more than in summer. The heater was so covered in crap you couldn't read the temp dial so i just turned it until the light went off when the temp read 26C.
I cleaned the heater dial and it was at 23C on the old Eheim 300W.

Anyway, i could have just said nothing and told you guys the reef turned around due to dosing a potion but since many like you were probably wondering what the hell was stopping my corals from growing, i thought i should own up even though it's a tad embarrassing.

Anyway, i will see how things go for a few months now and take a few picks after that for a growth comparison, the colors are already popping more. :thumbsup:

Polyps do my head in........

image.jpg

SSC frag beside one of Christians frags for color comparison

image.jpg

Hi Andrew
As you mention Forest Fire I have a large colonies of the FF monti with the green tops in my display tank with great colour but when I break pieces off as they grow very fast and place them in my frag tank they lose the green tops.The frag tank uses the water I change weekly out of my DT and a radion g4 and orphek slimline blue lighting any idea's on whats happening.
Bill

ps- sustainable reefs frags are in shopover here just waiting on a response from them

Hi Andrew
As you mention Forest Fire I have a large colonies of the FF monti with the green tops in my display tank with great colour but when I break pieces off as they grow very fast and place them in my frag tank they lose the green tops.The frag tank uses the water I change weekly out of my DT and a radion g4 and orphek slimline blue lighting any idea's on whats happening.
Bill

ps- sustainable reefs frags are in shopover here just waiting on a response from them

Hey Bill,

The first thing i would try is doing a 30-40% water change on the frag tank using a good salt, not water from the display. If the lighting is ok and you probably don't have high nutrient issues in the frag tank then it has to be either a lack of specific element/s or it could also be phos or nitrate limited if the frag tank is super clean.
If you never add trace elements to the frag tank and only replace water with your display water then it would be impossible for the frag tank to somehow maintain normal trace element levels.

Whatever you do Bill, don't dose iron lol......... that's about as useful to green pigments as checking your potassium levels when your pinks and reds are crap. :rolleyes:

Be cool if you get get hold of a couple of nice frags from Christian, send me a PM if you can see pics of what they have on offer and i can help you spend some money on the right ones Bill :thumbsup:

Back