large images - Tank 2 years under LED images - Mostly tangs

Jamesant

Hi I thought I would share some images primarily of tangs in my tank.
Most of these guys have been in my tank for 2 years.
untitled-59.jpg

untitled-100.jpg

untitled-104.jpg

untitled-117.jpg

untitled-126.jpg

untitled-128.jpg

untitled-131.jpg

untitled-144.jpg

untitled-146.jpg

untitled-153.jpg

awesome, i always have difficulty with fish because they move so much, are you using a flash on these? What are your settings?

For this one I really wanted to freeze the motion.
I used an additional two off camera flashes located to the left and right of middle of the aquarium. You might be able to do the same with some cheap worklights which are on all the time. Just a matter of adjusting the white balance.

They were pointing straight into the front glass of the aquarium but slightly down and were at the same height as the water level at the top.

This way the reflection from the lights was reduced at the centre of the tank.

Also I used the fastest shutter speed that I could at about 1/250 or 1/320 which was the fastest the camera could do and sync with the flashes.

You will notice that most of these images appear to have normal aquarium lighting plus there is a shadow from the side on some of the fish.

The blond naso is a dream to shoot, because it just comes straight up to the glass and sits still looking at you.

Thanks Astro
With a bit of practice on the tank shots I am starting to get there.
The added light from the flashes makes it easier but I would be interested to hear if anyone was having issues with flashes affecting their livestock at all. Mine don't seem to be phased by it.

flashes affecting their livestock at all. Mine don't seem to be phased by it.

I would highly doubt it affects them. Kinda like a tiny cloud moving at a good pace across the sun. Your flashes can't compare to the sun. I also use flashes.

Mine seem attracted to my strobes, though I do worry from time to time about temporary blindness and wandering into the carpet anemone.

Back